Found playsand, but is it OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaiden

Aquarium Advice FINatic
IS this stuff what I'm looking for? It is on a pallete that says "old castle" but looks different.. and the back said something about silica...

playsand.jpg

[/img]

from the looks of it, it does not seem that you bought the right stuff, especially if it says silica. you don't want silica. But check it with vinegar. It should fizz when you put vinegar on when it is the stuff you want.

silica...

Well, I didn't actually buy it yet... I'm still looking around for something perfect...

It didn't say "this is silica sand" but just a warning about "may contain fine silica, blah blah, don't breathe it" ... which strikes me as strange since isn't this marketed as PLAY SAND for kids???

Playsand seems to suck to me... I got a kind that was supposed to be "straight from the carribean"... even had shells in it. I rinsed it for 20 minutes and it still totally clouded and foamed up my QT tank... luckly there was no life in it. I will stick with Atlantic Ocean sand... have it in my main tank and it is 100% fine.

Back
Top Bottom