foundation rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

troutman11111

Aquarium Advice Freak
Foundation Rock- Enough to support the envisioned reef structure. "Foundation Rock" is Base Rock (preferred) or Dead Rock flat on two sides, used to support the rock work. Without it, the reef structure is doomed to collapse, as the sand bed dissolves.

is this right? in my 30 i put the rock on top of the dolmite, which is much bigger than sand. if i have to i will. how about slate pieces there nice and flat.

i always have used base rock. When setting up a new tank, I create a base for my live rock before adding my sand. I place the rock directly on the bottom glass.It is one way to gaurentee that your reef is stable, considering you stack your live rock right.

IMO, foundation rock would sit on the bottom of tank and the sand would be added around it, I do not think the reef structure is "doomed" if you don't use it.

i checked out my lfs and he dosen't have any thing, except some nice fake ones colored to. will this work or should i be trying to get some real dead pieces? finding a flat rock isn't that easy.

The foundation rock does not need to be flat. The easiest thing (cheap too) IMO would be to make a PVC rack to support your rock, you'd have a PVC foundation.

got 30lbs of dry rock & 30lbs of live. the dry rock was decent it made the foundation i scatterd the live rock in between and on the sides. i left my hands width between the sides of the tank open, the ends even wider. added some of my 12yr old sand to it also. waiting for my detrivore kit to get here from hawaii. they said 48 hrs. have to put in tank as soon as it gets here. :)

anything i can use right now to help clear up the cloudyness? only using a powerfilter 300 with the foam incert and another piece of fine filter in the powerfilter. all my base rock is in can't really see it , i have my detrivore kit comming soon. i would like to get this cleared up as soon as i can. thanks walt . water going into the tank is flowing on top of rock i put there. sal 1.024 temp 78

You can use another mechanical filter to clear the water a little faster, but the silt should settle in a week or so.

thanks. the tank is getting better i can see the rock now. lots a rinsing my filter. :)

it is all 60lbs alot of it is under the sand. my 60lbs of 12yr old rock is on top of it. nice coralline on that stuff. heres a photo of the tank done, except the plumbing for the overflow.

Back
Top Bottom