Frag swap question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
What exactly goes on at a frag swap? I have heard some stories and they sound cool. Just wondering. TIA

Frag swaps are usually run in one of two ways or a combonation of them both.

People bring frags of their corals either Sps, or any type and acually swap coral for coral with others. Idealy the corals are brought in small plastic tubs with saltwater in them or in quality ziplock bags.

Another way of running the frag swap is to bring frags with the intent on selling them for $ and purchasing other frags for $.

Then you have the combo method where you may swap frag for frag on some items or you might pay/sell other frags.

Frag swaps are great because for every coral you aquire this way its one less coral that has to be pulled from the ocean. Its also advised to frag the frag you get at a swap and give/sell it to others once the inital frag is large enough.

I know there is one in pheonixville, About 30-45 minutes or so from philly.

So a frag is a broken off piece of coral? Or what? Is there a special way you have to cut or break them?

NJRC holds meetings monthly (as does PARC in the Philadelphia area). At the NJRC meetings we frequently have members selling frags, but at our March meeting we're planning an all out frag swap. I'm planning on fragging some of the more rare corals I've acquired for this one.

PARC also does a lot of trading at their meetings. They have some great reefers participating in the club, some of which run online stores as well.

Definitely check with your local reef clubs for area swaps.

Yes a frag is a piece of coral that has broken away from the mother colony. They sell prop tools on various websites. Hard coral you break, soft coral you cut. The tricky part is being able to frag without messing up the mother colony.

AquaReefer- YOu say there is one in Phonexville? I live in King of Prussi so I am nto that far. My irlfriend lives in Royersford. So let em know more about this one that occurs in phonexville.

Back
Top Bottom