Fragging/Propogating question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuOD

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 questions. First is general, second is specific.

1. I know that corals are sensitive and need to be kept underwater at all times etc. but when I see people discuss "fragging" they say to take it out of the water and cut it with a razor blade. I don't understand how you can do this without it dying?

2. I have a green star polyp that is fairly small, but it has pretty large chunks hanging off the rock. I was thinking of cutting these chunks off and sticking them in other holes in my base rock, to have it hopefully spread over the base rock. Could I just take an exacto knife and do this?

On question 1 they will be OK for the 5 or ten mins. it takes before you put it back in a bowl of SW after it has been fragged and mounted.

Wow, I was under the assumption that out of water coral would die.

So I can just take out the rock it came on, cut off a piece0 about 1" with an exacto knife and then put the rock back where it was, and stick the little piece elsewhere in my tank? Seems pretty EASY! :)

If you ever watch a frag workshop anywhere (very interesting, I might add!) you'll realize that corals are pretty darn hardy. They can be hammered, sliced, sawed, cut, chipped, glued, etc. with no harm. Taking them out of water to frag is not only okay, but it's the preferred way to frag. Usually when you frag inside the aquarium, you run the potential of a chemical issue that most corals release when they are stressed.

With the star polyps, I agree with Melosu about the attachment.

Great advice I would just like to add that star polyps are pretty hardy and they usually come back no matter what. I have had some stay closed for a day or two after fragging but they come back.

I just glued a small frag to my overflow and I am looking forward to them covering it. It is a cool place because it is easier to control then Lr...

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I decided to go ahead and use an elastic band since I didn't have any glue available. I also figured it'd be good to do at night since the coral is already retracted! There were 2 pieces not attached to the rock so I cut both of those off. One frag is already out again, the other one is very small though and I don't know that it will live.

If the piece was big enough to not float away, you could just place the cutting on a rock or even in the sand. Hardest thing I find about frags is keeping them where you put them. Even if you attach to a small rock, hermits, fish, etc. will knock them over.

I would also run carbon if you don't already after fragging. This will help with some of the chemicals released after fragging. Fragging outside the tank is always best but sometimes can't be helped.

With star polyps, I like to keep them sequestered. They will overtake anything in their path.

Back
Top Bottom