Friable Red Algae or Bacteria. Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronin33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Red Bloom all over my LR and bottom of tank. It's friable and easily blown away w turkey baster. Temp 78, Sp Gr 1.025, pH 8.0, Alk Dk 11, Ca 425, mg 1250, Po4 initially 1.5 (Did water change and added Phos lowering resin bags now 0.75). New aquarium with Live Rock purchased from active aquarium. Used live Bact as well. Some Favites, Weslo, Anemenone, 1 Clownfish. What do I do. Have Red Reef E260 aquarium w PS, no top. Help.

Cyanobacteria is a sign of low flow and nutrient issues in the water column. Large water changes with ro/di water along with siphoning it out during these water changes will ensure it doesn't return. It can take several weeks to a couple of months depending on how high the nutrient levels are in the system, which are usually undetectable due to the cyano outbreaks absorbing them.

I have a water filtration system in my home that removes Chlorine, heavy metals, particulate matter with a RO Alkali filter I used. What's the best way to siphone? I have on of those large devices for water changes that use gravity but doesn't create enough neg pressure to remove.

RO water still isn't ro/di water. The goal is to ensure there isn't anything in the water going into the system so that you can manage things. I used distilled water for years and never got over the algae issues until I got back to ro/di water.
As for siphoning, I use a simple hose you can get at any pet store. If it isn't working for you, then the end in the tank isn't higher than the end you are attempting to siphon into or you aren't priming the hose...I just suck on the end quickly. Every once in awhile you'll catch some saltwater, but unless it is one of the more expensive units that have other methods of creating the siphon that's how they work.

I had the same problem for a month or two with my seahorse tank. Siphoning, water change etc. was not even helping. I went to my local salt water store and they gave me a powder to put into my tank and it help to resolve it within days. I took everything out of my tank, scrubbed everything, siphoned all the gravel and even net up some of it, put all the decorations and fish back in and added the powder and it was all gone. That's it if u want to look into getting it. It was abt 20$ but totally worth it!!
Image1497065199.999675.jpg

Back
Top Bottom