Fridmani Pseudochromis /purple pseudochromis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sadielynn

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does any one house these creatures with shrimp and how do they behave . I had one long ago and I remember him snipping at my cleaner . Is this the case with yours ? :D

I dont have one now but a couple yrs ago I had one with a fire or blood shrimp and some peppermint shrimp and never had a problem. JME

Thanks mel was he in a reef as well what else was he housed with and tank size ?

I just added one to my 125 on Saturday. The Coral Beauty chased it a bit and it now spends most of the time on the opposite side of the tank from where the cleaner shrimp resides.

I'll keep an eye out for any aggression though.

The thing is I think they are hit or miss as to wether they will be aggressive to shrimp I am finding that it is a 50/50 shot.. I had one a long time ago he was one of our favorite fish ... I had the opportunity to get one today and did so .... I just hope he behaves if not I have another tank he can be moved to safely

Mine was in the 55 reef which is the 125 reef now. Only problem was he was a jumper which is why I dont have him now.

I've got one, and noticed it being very aggressive in my LFS, chasing around some pyjama cardinals. I was also told they can jump (my tank is open-top), and can bother shrimp. But, I got it anyway!

3 weeks later, it's doing great. It was hesitant to feed at first, but now comes right up to the surface along with my Ocellaris clown, to feed almost from my hand. It's much more timid than the clown - the dottyback rushes and hides if I stick my hand in the tank, whereas my clown rushes TO my hand and bites/nips it! Also, it's slower than the clown to get to the food, and still slightly hesitant. This is sorted by just putting more than the clown itself can eat at once, so while he's eating the dottyback can get some ;)

He's not bothered my blood red shrimp ONCE, although the shrimp is usually in hiding. He's also not bothered my clown at all, or anything else, he's been very peaceful! He does stare closely at the shrimp, but he's never gone for him.

A fantastic fish, awesome bright colour.

Thanks Mark and Mel that is why I dont have my old one any more either he commited fishaside
The one I got today is not the normal Fridmani Pseudochromis as this one does not have the black stripe in the eye ... There is another one but it can be a bit nastier . For my sake I hope not :)

I had my 1st one about 6 months before he jumped ship .. I forgot to place the egg crate back on top :)

Oh! Do you mean that you usually had the egg crate on top, but you forgot to one time and he jumped straight out?

I've had mine for 3 weeks now and he's not even tried...fingers crossed :p I love the open- tank look.

Yep I was doing something and had it off I leaned it up against a wall or something and the lights went out ... I never even saw it was off till the morning when I looked all over for him he landed smack on the stand that we were using at the time and was dead as a door nail ... It took me close to 1 hour to find him their he layed dried as could be :( I never found one that I liked enough to get but this one I have watched for 2 days and he was active and spunky ... so I got him but now I wont be taking the egg crate off unless I place it where I can see it LOL I am thinking of painting it black to blend in not sure tho :)

Aww that must be awful :( I can't do anything with mine but hope really!

Good luck with the new one.

There is a clear type of screen that you can get it is a mesh (plastic) you need to make a frame for it to sit on your rim but it prevents jumpers I will look for it for you not sure if it is avail in the UK or not
mesh
mesh
These are similar if not the same as...

Thanks Sadielynn. Now I'm worried about mine. I had a carpenters flasher wrasse go carpet surfing a while back. Time to put the egg crate up. It survived a month in a 30 gal uncovered QT tank and has been in the main since Saturday. Egg crate will go on tonight.

I like the mesh that you linked to, but they sell large quantity. Did you find yours locally or did you buy online?

I did not get the mesh I got egg crate found in the lighting at home improvement stores it is light difuser panel if youare handy tho you can get plastic mesh for gutters to keep them clean . My egg crate is tight fitting now with no gaps hat I can find LOL

Well, it looks like I spoke too soon!

My Dad found my dottyback lying on the carpet this morning, not moving. He thought he was dead, but put him back in the tank anyway. AND, he swam right off!! He breathed heavily for a while, and seems to have some bruising and looks a bit beaten up, but now an hour later, he seems happy enough. He's swimming about just about as normal, and I've just fed him fine.

It looks like we were lucky, and he was only on the carpet for 1-3 minutes.

This is the SCARILY weird thing - this was early in the morning, at around 8am, so I was still in bed. When my Dad called up to me to tell me about it, he woke me from a dream. And, I was dreaming that my pink (dottyback) fish had died because he'd jumped out of the water into a box! I woke up briefly glad that "it was only a dream", only to discover the news...I'm slightly freaked out about it!

Anyway, I now have a glass lid on my tank temporarily, and plan on getting an acrylic one custom made, with holes and perforations in it.

BOTTOM LINE: I almost sacrificed the life of my favourite fish, despite being told about their habits before, just for the aesthetic look of an open-top tank, and slight convenience (and aeration). IT'S NOT WORTH IT! Get some egg crate, or something else suitable, and do it for your piece of mind, if nothing else.

Glad you found him in time Just watch him as he will put out more stress coat , it should clear tho with in a week ,.. we have found 1-2 fish on the floor before I put egg crate on and they lived for about a year then they got traded in .... Now I have egg crate that I use and it fits tight ... there is another netting called pond netting that is out there I found it at several UK site ...that you can get to cover your tank not sure how big the holes are but you would need to build a frame to hold it

Back
Top Bottom