fromia milleporella (red starfish)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I saw a smaller Red starfish at the LFS for 9.99 pretty cool looking and looked like a smaller version of the linkia starfish. it said full grown size about 5" which isn't too big. I didn't buy it I was going to get advice here before I added one to my 46g aquarium.

I also saw a half-black angelfish (centropyge vroliki) which would thrive in my aquarium size and a really cool fish just worried about picking on corals.

So I left with nothing I am so proud of myself.

You should be good with the star, they are great at algae grazing and are day time feeders. The angel my nip at your corals.

Mike, do they eat 'pods' too? It seems like it from the description. I've thought about getting one, but don't want anything that will compete with my mandarin.

Mike, do they eat 'pods' too? It seems like it from the description. I've thought about getting one, but don't want anything that will compete with my mandarin.

I know that it`s main diet is not pods but what one will do if a pod goes by I dont know. That could really go for all fish. I would think you would be OK but corals are another story if you read the description.

Its main diet consists of various algaes, but if it is in the tank it is fair game. Most small reef fish will consume various "pods."

I feed mine sinking carnivore and they love it. I have two bali red star fish, one brittle star and one serpant star. They come crawling out of their caves to get it.

I just bought the starfish at Petco the first batch I was looking at were disenegrating and did not look good. I waited until the next week and they had some better looking specimens. I asked the lady if they were healthy She stated "starfish are never healthy and die right away in captivity because all of them starve they just kinda feed off of what is in the tank but nobody knows what they eat or what to feed them so there lives are short lived" I felt like she was treating me like an idiot and that I was stupid for buying one. I aksed on the forum here and looked up info on them and the seem to be algae grazers and won't really overgrow my tank so i felt confident in purchasing one. I just wonder though if she is so convinced that these starfish are not good for a tank why did she order them in and sell them? I have a feeling it may be better off in my tank than the tiny pet store tank that often has dead fish floating around. I am really nervous about caring for it and hope that I can be successfull at doing so. I am doing a 2hour drip and not allowing it to come in contanct with air hopefully it will adjust to my paramaters ok. I tested them and were all within range

I read up a bit more on the species looks like most people have not kept one successfully for over a year in their tank hopefully the little guy is happy inside my tank I will do what I can to assure that.

Last edited:
Ok its been in my tank for about 5hours now for an animal that is sensative to air it continues to hang out at the surface exposing itself to some air toward the top of my tank I dont understand why

I's assuming it's just got a leg up in the air, not the underside, correct?
I've heard of stars doing that before. Not having one myself (yet) I'm not certain, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

As long as it`s just a few legs and not the mouth you will be OK. My blue linknia I feed by putting a half algea wafer under him and he stays parked over top of it till it`s gone. I know your`s is different but it might be worth a try. Mine is over 3 yrs old going on 4. JME

This starfish has been in my tank for about 3months and looks healthy as ever very good addition to the tank. The only issue I had was about a month ago I found him inside my overflow box. It must have crawled over the wire mesh out into the air and into the overflow box on the outside of my tank or crawled over the mesh and into the u-tube crawling threw it and into the overflow box before the drain. good thing I caught it when I did. I picked him up and tossed him into the main tank and he is still doing fine. Seems pretty hardy.

Back
Top Bottom