Frozen vs. Freeze Dried

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partypalooza5

Aquarium Advice Addict
I may be putting this in the wrong thread, but I just have to ask. What's the difference between freeze dried and frozen? (Aside from the fact one is actually freezing and the other is pretty much dehydrated, I understand the physical part xD) I was just wondering if I can get freeze dried foods and have the same results.

my book says that one is better than the other for a good reason, but i cant remember and im too lazy to go look...

Alot of freeze dried foods lack the nutrition that a fish needs, but fish love them so many people use them as treats. A variety of frozen foods are used as the staple diet for fish in combination with flakes and pellets. Frozen foods generally have a better nutritional value than freeze dried. Frozen products that tend to lack nutritional value such as brine shrimp can be vitamin enriched. Freeze dried foods are also bad for the digestive system so they will cause digestive problems when fed too often if I remember right.

Yeah that kind of says it all, I was going to try freeze dried but after that analogy. I think I will stay with frozen!

I use frozen because freeze dried causes constipation. I do have some freeze dried but I soak it with vitamins before feeding the fish it absorbs better than frozen food.

Certain freeze-dried foods may cause adverse reactions in specific fish, but for the most part freeze-dried is slighlty less nutritious just because of the extra step in processing. I also do not like that freeze-dried can be difficult to submerge even after soaking. I always try to feed a combination of fresh, frozen, and pellets.

That`s what I dont like about it either that it just floats on the top. Cant get it to sink.

So if I was to "re hydrate" it in some sort of liquid for a few days, would it be somewhat like frozen food again? (this is hypothetical xD) I can get frozen food, but if I can somehow get freeze dried to work it would help me out a bit. But then again, if it's not really "good" for the fish, I don't wanna feed them that.

Back
Top Bottom