Fuge questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got my 30+ gal sump/fuge up & running for several weeks now. I have two questions:

The overflow box drains surface water into a narrow chamber which then overflows through a filter pad and onto the LR rubble. The water then passes out of the bottom of the LR chamber and rises up and over the next partition which leads into the fuge. The fuge regularely has a very thin film which is light gray/silver in color.

First question - I laid a white paper towel on the surface for an instant before pulling it off. This is effective at removing the surface film. However, it eventually comes back. What is it? What causes it. Should I bother removing it?

Next question - The red and brown Graciola (sp) isn't really growing at all. I probably have less now than when I started. The green grape caurlupa (sp) is growing fast. When & how much should I cut it back? Should I clip the ends or just hack out a section?

prune the caulerpa by pinching it off at the ends where you want to cut it. Do not make clean cuts or the branches will "weep" goo into the tank. Gracilaria is a slow grower. It also likes a good bit of light.

I agree with Lisa that you pinch it off at the ends. I grab a big ball of it and feed it to my three tangs. Keep it pruned regularly or it could have problems. Also keep it lighted 24/7

Back
Top Bottom