Future 44 project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10gal_nano

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone, as you may know I have a successful 10 gallon nano reef. I want to eventually (prob in august for my birthday) turn my 44 gallon freshwater corner hex into a saltwater.

It has been set up and running well for about 7 years.

I have a few questions

1) lights?

2) skimmer

3) lid?

4) filter. I have a great quality canister

5) heater?

6) refugium? Can I use the 10 gallon tank?

7) powerheads?

Anything I'm forgetting? Thanks

Alright well, I'm going to respond here because the location is correct, haha.
1.) Well, a budget would help a ton.
2.) Sump? HOB? Internal?
3.) Hmm, you might have to get one specialty cut for the tank.
4.) Honestly, I just don't like canisters. They are also nitrate factories in saltwater tanks. Maybe a sump if possible?
5.) I'd do a 200-250 watt heater.
6.) For a refugium to have any significant affect it should be half the size of the DT. So, no the 10 wouldn't work.
7.) 30x is a good turnover rate. 1500-200gph is what I would shoot for.
More Details, More Info.

I'm going to use mostly base rock but a but about $500

Completely do-able. I planned my 55 based on a budget of $500, and it would have worked. Except I wanted a couple of pricier things.

Alright, so here is what I would do.
Lighting: Tao Panel. Cheap, good, perfect. $120
Flow: Jebao WP-10 or 25. You can get 25's cheaper then 10's on amazon. $50 second hand, $60 new.
Skimmer: Reef Octopus HOB: bh-100 = $139.99
Rock: Marco Rocks or Reef Rocks: 40lbs = $80, you can pry do 30lbs =$60 if you are upgrading the 10 to the 44 and not keeping it.
Sand: $8 a 10lb bag down here. = $32
Filter: AC-70 or AC-110= I think you already have one. Unless you want to go sump, someone is pry better then me.
Heater- 200watt = $76
Total= $507
I think I'm not missing anything...

I don't really like that footprint, its your opinion though. I've read it limits fish too, sorry.

Just be aware those tanks aren't the best for swimming room so you'll still be limited to smaller fish.

Completely do-able. I planned my 55 based on a budget of $500, and it would have worked. Except I wanted a couple of pricier things.

Alright, so here is what I would do.
Lighting: Tao Panel. Cheap, good, perfect. $120
Flow: Jebao WP-10 or 25. You can get 25's cheaper then 10's on amazon. $50 second hand, $60 new.
Skimmer: Reef Octopus HOB: bh-100 = $139.99
Rock: Marco Rocks or Reef Rocks: 40lbs = $80, you can pry do 30lbs =$60 if you are upgrading the 10 to the 44 and not keeping it.
Sand: $8 a 10lb bag down here. = $32
Filter: AC-70 or AC-110= I think you already have one. Unless you want to go sump, someone is pry better then me.
Heater- 200watt = $76
Total= $507
I think I'm not missing anything...

I don't really like that footprint, its your opinion though. I've read it limits fish too, sorry.

Thanks for all the info! I think I have a heater big enough. How much live rock?

Ok. Thanks. Flame angel?

I wouldn't put an angel in a tank that's under two feet long, as they are open water swimmers. That is just my opinion.

Also it is a risk to put them in a reef as they may nip your corals and harass other fish since your tank is moderately sized.

The tank isn't under 2 feet long if I read the dimensions right but I could've just read them completely wrong. If it's under 2 feet than yeah I wouldn't do the angel.

I wouldn't put an angel in a tank that's under two feet long, as they are open water swimmers. That is just my opinion.

Also it is a risk to put them in a reef as they may nip your corals and harass other fish since your tank is moderately sized.

Well, I wouldn't call them open water swimmers because they would require a much larger tank. Like Tangs. LA has them at 75 but we know they are fine in smaller systems. They are simply active swimmers, not open water. They don't need 6+ feet of swimming room.

Back
Top Bottom