Future of Sandshifting Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JesseMessykinn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here in a few days to a week, im doing a major tank over haul. I pretty much top to bottom. One think I seem to forget about was my Sand Shifting starfish. The whole tank is being drain, all the rock removed, all fish going into a QT tub. I was wanting to replace the sand, but the star comes into play...

One way or another the fish need removed due to ick out break, I plan to resetting the tank and corals back up and running it fallow for 2 months. I was planning of completely replacing the sand bed but now im unsure.

Can I removed the sand and have it in a temp tank and have the star in there while the new sand bed builds up some life?

Can I remove the sandbed, rescape the rock then add the old sandbed back into place and dump another 40 pounds of sand with it? Im at a loss with this star, hes been going great in the tank so far and id hate to lose it.

Tips?

Any reason why you wanna tear the tank down? Is it due to not likeing something or because of the ick?

About a year old, have to remove the rock to get the fish out, I was going to switch out the stand but decided to keep the old one there instead. I think im going to just leave the sand bed alone. Besides I just put a new sump under the tank, looks 100% better.

About a year old, have to remove the rock to get the fish out, I was going to switch out the stand but decided to keep the old one there instead. I think im going to just leave the sand bed alone. Besides I just put a new sump under the tank, looks 100% better.

If it is not a deep sand bed (less than 3"~4") just leave it in the tank but make sure you don't disturb it too much. One thing to remember though, if you are adding new sand, I would take the old sand out, put the new sand first then add some of the old sand on top to seed the new sand. Do not trap the old sand under the new sand as this may cause issues. Sand is cheap. I would not risk keeping the old sand.

Back
Top Bottom