Fuzz algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EELectric

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a fuzz like algae spreading like wildfire in my tank. I think it originally came from my HOB filter and floated down and settled in my tank. Now it has spread to almost every rock. It grows on itself like a fuzz ball.

-Any ideas?

-If so how do I get rid of it?

Thanks

Sounds like hair algae to me.

What are your water parameters? NitrAte NitrIte Ammonia Phosphate? How often do you do PWCs? How often and how much do you feed? What do you feed? How long has your tank been set up? How old are your bulbs? What kind of filtration do you use? Do you have sponges in your filters?

The biggest cause of algae is nutrients--phosphates and nitrates. If your tank is cycling then the algae bloom is a result of phosphates from tap water or decaying live rock. Eventually the algae will burn eat itself out of its nutrients.
If your tank is not cycling then
check that you are not using tap water
check your feeding habits--you could be feeding the algae
add a tang-yellow preferably--great algae consumers.
add some emerald crabs--great algae eaters
Hope this helps
Tangster

I do water changes every 2 weeks. I feed every other day with one cube of Formula 1. I have had my tank coming on 3 years. My bulbs are approaching 1 year. I have a skimmer and a hob filter with this blue/white filter thing.

-I will try to check my water tonight.

-I also have bubble algae in my tank. Unfortunately I have not been paying as much attention to my tank as I used to. Now I feel like it has gotten out of control. I dont think I will be able to post a picture either.

-Your hope so far is greatly appreciated!

Ok....the HOB filter with the blue/white filter thing probably needs replacing. I expect that has carbon in it which is pretty much worthless after a week or so. I would start doing PWCs every other week and do about 15-20gallons at a time. I think when you test your water you will find that your NitrAte level is pretty high. Also if you have a test for Phosphates I would test that also. More water changes and change out that filter media ASAP. That should be replaced everytime you do a PWC or at the very least rinsed out in the old SW.

I have a picture of it, but how do I post it?

My Levels:

pH- 8.1 will add a little buffer
Nitrite- 0 mg/L
Nitrate- 20 mg/L
Ammonia- 0

I don't have a test for Phosphate

Do you guys think I am overfeeding?

I think once I figure out how to post a picture it will help a lot!

Nitrate at 20 is part of the problem. What about the other things I asked in the post above yours? I would not add a buffer. 8.1 is ok as long as it is stable. The more your tank matures the better your PH will become.

Back
Top Bottom