Galaxea spp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonzo82

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was interested to see if anyone out there had experience w/ this coral. I was looking at one at my LFS today and liked it but i was wondering if i would be able to keep it alive. I noticed on live aquaria that it said it had hight lighting needs but the LFS told me that it would be fine under powercompacts if i had a high enough wpg, but what is enough? I have a 29g with a 2x65w pc(about 4.5wpg). i have plenty of room toward the top of the tank but i am still leary about the lighting. Anyone that has any experience please help me out. Any info is greatly appreciated. TIA

I got mine back in early 03 and it has grown alot.. They are a mean coral and have LONG sweepers that come out and sting nearby corals.
Im running 4x 160 watt URI VHO bulbs, 2 super actinic and 2 white actinic.
I have it at the top of my LR in my 125, its about 4-5" below the water surface. I do nothing special for it other then blow it with a turkey baster once in a while. I read that it helps clean them if you do that. I have it in a low/med flow area.
How big is it? You may not want one if you plan on keeping other corals near it. Mine have 6-9" sweepers every day..

the one i was looking at was just a frag. I think it had 2 polyps on it. I think the price was $10.

maybe that isnt what it was. I thought that is what he told me though. It kinda looks like a tiny clump of elegance coral coming out of a .25 cm tube. kinda like a tube worm has. It is purple and green w/ whitish tips.

I have a rather nice Galaxy (Galaxie, Galexea, Tooth Coral, etc) coral ( See my photos pimp..) I use 4 110W VHO lights over a 75G tank. I have the coral placed at the top. It *loves* water flow. As previously mentioned it has sweepers which come out usually just after feeding and can go about 12-18 inches. It packs quite a punch as far as a sting goes, so it will need space.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1493

GL!

It could be a galaexa just a small one... They have individual tube like things they grow from. They will spread over time.

Back
Top Bottom