Gallon sump/refuge.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

30galbio

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have a 29 gallon biocube which I am making a sump/refuge for an I'm wondering to use a 10 gallon tank or a 20 gallon tank? Id like to use the one that is more effective and produces the most possible copepods so which one?

Both sizes would be fine depending on what else you decide to use the sump for. If you want to have baffles or add a skimmer at some point, the 20 would give you more space. The total population of pods depends on a few things other than just space such as nutrient levels, flow or even mechanical filtration and the type of skimmer you use, if any.

To get a boatload of pods (if that's the main objective) I'd use the 20 gallon with a simple air driven skimmer and small return pump. An air driven skimmer will still remove lots of organics but they're gentle enough to allow copepods and mysid shrimp to actually swim inside it to feed (seen it). A small pump may be gentler on the population and do a little less harm to the ones getting sucked into the main tank. I couldn't say for sure though.

Yea I'm going to eventually put a good skimmer in there and I've measured the 20 gallon tank I need to build a cabinet specifically to my dimensions so the 20 gallon tank. I'm fine in width an hight of the tank to the cabinet the length is what worries me. I Have a 26 inch space from my stand to my closet doors while open the stand is going to be 25 leaving 1/2 an inch on each side of the tank before it reaches the cabinet walls. The way my doors are going to open is scary I don't know if I'm going to have enough space to have the hinges if I use a thick hinge or as I call them the good ones I will not but if I use thin door hinges I should be fine I'll just have to use a small magnet to keep them closed

In that case you may be better with either a 10 or a 15H. I used a 15H for my 30L reef. It's important to be able to access the sides if there are power strips inside the cabinet. You don't want it to cramped.

Back
Top Bottom