GBOY & NU NU 30 gal saltwater build!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a suggestion... find a copy of Pocket Expert Guide to Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael. You'll get short profiles and compatibility info on tons of species. This is a great book for quick references. There are MANY great books out there, this is just a starting point.

Remember- it's better to start with research than just jumping in. You will be more successful, and most likely save lots of money.

severum mama said:
I have a suggestion... find a copy of Pocket Expert Guide to Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael. You'll get short profiles and compatibility info on tons of species. This is a great book for quick references. There are MANY great books out there, this is just a starting point.

Remember- it's better to start with research than just jumping in. You will be more successful, and most likely save lots of money.

This one? Looks good! And ya, were trying not to jump into thigs, but it is pretty exciting! We will be going very slow though, due to lack of funds :D haha so plenty of time for research

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1890087386/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

SwimsWithFish said:
Yeah! Get as much as possible. That's insane!!

But what if it is not good quality? Could you guys coach us on whats good and bad live rock? What it looks like? What pieces to get? Etc.

Look for a very porous rock with alot of funky formations and crevices. Make SURE THAT THERE IS NO APTAISIA!!!!!!! Once it gets in the system your doomed. This is APTAISIA:

Attachments

• image-4019362964.jpg
    image-4019362964.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 81
SwimsWithFish said:
Look for a very porous rock with alot of funky formations and crevices. Make SURE THAT THERE IS NO APTAISIA!!!!!!! Once it gets in the system your doomed. This is APTAISIA:

Haha that looks kind of cool, to be honest! Haha but ill watch for it very carefully!! Could you get a picture of what good, medium, and bad live rock looks like? Thanks!!

image-888397324.jpg

This is terrible. It's flat with a couple holes

image-1436069150.png

This is pretty good. Colorful but not alot of shapes

image-893064361.jpg

This stuff is like high grade!!! Lots of color and shapes!:)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha whats bad about apistia? Dont shrimp eat it?

Apitasia will take over your rocks and kill your corals. One little head will multiply into a forest of BAAAAD!!!

SwimsWithFish said:
Apitasia will take over your rocks and kill your corals. One little head will multiply into a forest of BAAAAD!!!

Peppermints will help with that though right?

Ok, i think i know! Doesnt live rock usually have more corraline algea and stuff on it?

Gboy66 said:
Ok, i think i know! Doesnt live rock usually have more corraline algea and stuff on it?

Yep! If you can find this your in live Rick heaven... You want lots of purple. Btw there really isn't a medium grade... Medium great I guess would be cool shapes but not alot of color.

Attachments

• image-4200938942.jpg
    image-4200938942.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 100
Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha ohh okay! Well will shrimp eat it? And sorry but pis 2 and 3 look alot alike! Haha

Yes some shrimp will eat it but with 2-3 shrimp the aptasia will reproduce too fast for the shrimp to get all of it. Plus it kills corals...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom