Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-26-2011, 01:15 AM   #581
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,413
$2.95 per pound when he got his a few weeks ago.

__________________
Gregcoyote is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:34 AM   #582
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
$2.95 per pound when he got his a few weeks ago.
Oh, so do you think it woupd be more cost-effective to buy all eco reef saver rock, 35 lbs and still get free shipping...OR...get 10 lbs of live rock from a guy on craigslist for 2$/lb (if it is of good quality), and buy, say, 25 lbs of that reef saver rock. The shipping would probably make the 2nd option alot more expensive. I just REALLY like that reef saver...i dunno
__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:37 AM   #583
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,413
You could go either way. The reef saver rock is sterile, the Craig's list rock is live, but with what? If you have time, I would use mostly reef saver rock and buy a small amount of good quality live rock, then wait a spell. Half the cycling of a new tank is from dead stuff on the "live" rock deteriorating after shipment.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:38 AM   #584
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
My son just bought some. He thought he got a good deal. The rock looks really cool. I would be careful of other quarried rock as it might have some solvable minerals in it you won't want. Remember here is no water weight with this and BRS ships any order over $100 for free...
It's 175 now....
__________________
Ibrahim is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:38 AM   #585
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Hm, and how much per pound is this rock? 3$/lb?
It's 2.49lb for the reefsaver
__________________
Ibrahim is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:40 AM   #586
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

It's 175 now....
They just changed it...that sucks.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:41 AM   #587
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Oh, so do you think it woupd be more cost-effective to buy all eco reef saver rock, 35 lbs and still get free shipping...OR...get 10 lbs of live rock from a guy on craigslist for 2$/lb (if it is of good quality), and buy, say, 25 lbs of that reef saver rock. The shipping would probably make the 2nd option alot more expensive. I just REALLY like that reef saver...i dunno
I added 41lbs of rock to the cart and it came up to $102 then $24 shipping. You can check to see what it's like
__________________
Ibrahim is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:45 AM   #588
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote

They just changed it...that sucks.
Yeah.... And by alot. I guess they were losing money.
__________________
Ibrahim is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:47 AM   #589
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,413
I guess my friends and I will cluster our orders together.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:47 AM   #590
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

I added 41lbs of rock to the cart and it came up to $102 then $24 shipping. You can check to see what it's like
That's really not to bad...
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #591
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
You could go either way. The reef saver rock is sterile, the Craig's list rock is live, but with what? If you have time, I would use mostly reef saver rock and buy a small amount of good quality live rock, then wait a spell. Half the cycling of a new tank is from dead stuff on the "live" rock deteriorating after shipment.
Hmm..i really want reef saver rock, so just maybe buy 35 lbs of that, and another 5-10 of live? Do i order high quality live, or go to a nice lfs?

As for the cycling, even if there is no die-off, would the raw shrimp that i am going to add to the tank for cycling work just as well?
__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #592
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

It's 175 now....
Wow! Bummer!
__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #593
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Hmm..i really want reef saver rock, so just maybe buy 35 lbs of that, and another 5-10 of live? Do i order high quality live, or go to a nice lfs?

As for the cycling, even if there is no die-off, would the raw shrimp that i am going to add to the tank for cycling work just as well?
Sounds good. I'd go to an LFS and hand pick nice pieces and you'll be fine if you use shrimp.
__________________
Ibrahim is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #594
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
I guess my friends and I will cluster our orders together.
Lol i have no fish friends! I wish i had done careys bulk reef discount buy
__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:50 AM   #595
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Lol i have no fish friends! I wish i had done careys bulk reef discount buy
lol it's only going to be a 3% discount
__________________
Ibrahim is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:50 AM   #596
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

Sounds good. I'd go to an LFS and hand pick nice pieces and you'll be fine if you use shrimp.
Cool..so how much is shipping? Just o to their site and find out?
__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:56 AM   #597
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Ok i just looked...87$ for the 35 lbs
And the shipping comes out to 31$...

Grand total: 118 (not including the 5-10 lbs of quality LR i plan to buy at the lfs later on)
__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 02:01 AM   #598
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66
Ok i just looked...87$ for the 35 lbs
And the shipping comes out to 31$...

Grand total: 118 (not including the 5-10 lbs of quality LR i plan to buy at the lfs later on)
Wow..... I don't think it's worth it. It's not that big of a difference from Reefcleaners. I've used both btw
__________________
Ibrahim is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 02:03 AM   #599
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

Wow..... I don't think it's worth it. It's not that big of a difference from Reefcleaners. I've used both btw
Reefcleaners? Hows their stuff?
__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 02:06 AM   #600
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Reefcleaners? Hows their stuff?
It's pretty good an easy to scape with. It's $80 with free shipping for 35lbs
__________________
Ibrahim is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
build, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally Gonna go Saltwater - 29 Gallon build spoonman Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 230 09-02-2012 11:16 AM
55 gallon reef - First Saltwater Build Ever! matthewh133 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 200 11-28-2011 03:26 AM
First time 46 gal saltwater build. Couple questions Gunk Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 08-04-2011 11:18 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.