GBOY & NU NU 30 gal saltwater build!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
needmorecowbell said:
They say no more that 110 no less 33.

Oh ya im nowhere near either of those.

I think the problem guys is that it is leaking so much that we dont turn up the water pressure. Therefore, the water cant make it all the way to the output. :(

Ok, i will. Thanks guys. Im not sure if they have a phone number to contact them with but ill look.

Ps...the base rock came!!!! ....not

Ok, well i am really mad. After trCking the rocks, its estimated arrival time is FRIDAY THE 6th!! What the heck?

Ok, well we already made 2 buckets of rodi. What do we do?? Can we just add it to the tank and put up with the cloudyness later on, or can we actually cap the buckets and save it?

Gboy66 said:
Ok, well i am really mad. After trCking the rocks, its estimated arrival time is FRIDAY THE 6th!! What the heck?

Ok, well we already made 2 buckets of rodi. What do we do?? Can we just add it to the tank and put up with the cloudyness later on, or can we actually cap the buckets and save it?

You can cap the buckets and save it. I always have 2 5g buckets with the tops on hand for PWCs

Ibrahim said:
You can cap the buckets and save it. I always have 2 5g buckets with the tops on hand for PWCs

I dont have lids:( could i use tinfoil?

So do you think that they would be good for another 6 days?

I dont get why it takes so long for those beepin rocks to ship, even if it was free shipping..:(

Gboy66 said:
I dont have lids:( could i use tinfoil?

So do you think that they would be good for another 6 days?

I dont get why it takes so long for those beepin rocks to ship, even if it was free shipping..:(

You could use anything as long as it prevents anything from contaminating the water. If you have Saran wrap that'd be better since you could see through the water but tinfoil will work too

Ibrahim said:
You could use anything as long as it prevents anything from contaminating the water. If you have Saran wrap that'd be better since you could see through the water but tinfoil will work too

Ok, ill do this. But..could we just fill up the tank now? We could probably finish making the water by tomorrow. I know that the sand would make the water cloudy, but can we do it?

Gboy66 said:
Ok, ill do this. But..could we just fill up the tank now? We could probably finish making the water by tomorrow. I know that the sand would make the water cloudy, but can we do it?

You could. I did it before and all it did was make my tank cloudy for 3 days. Remember to not turn on any pumps or filters until your tanks becomes clear. It's a mistake I wish I didnt make since my impellers were damaged pretty badly.

Ibrahim said:
You could. I did it before and all it did was make my tank cloudy for 3 days. Remember to not turn on any pumps or filters until your tanks becomes clear. It's a mistake I wish I didnt make since my impellers were damaged pretty badly.

Oh crud! So just pour in all the water now and ONLY turn on pumps and such when the water is completly clear? Does it matter that the water will be still, not moving?

Ok, im going to add the water!

Gboy66 said:
Oh crud! So just pour in all the water now and ONLY turn on pumps and such when the water is completly clear? Does it matter that the water will be still, not moving?

Ok, im going to add the water!

Only turn on the pumps when the sand settles and the water is clear. Afterwards you can turn on the pump. Add sand then water to reduce cloudiness

Ok, so im confused about the whole adding salt thing. Now, im know wev added roughly 15 gallons to the tank, and we have another 5 gallons that we havent added yet and another bucket filling up.

Question is, how do i know exactly how much salt to add? Just a rough estimate? If i have too high of a salinity after, how do i lower it?

Gboy66 said:
Ok, so im confused about the whole adding salt thing. Now, im know wev added roughly 15 gallons to the tank, and we have another 5 gallons that we havent added yet and another bucket filling up.

Question is, how do i know exactly how much salt to add? Just a rough estimate? If i have too high of a salinity after, how do i lower it?

Add 14 cups of salt then just fill up your tank with RO/DI water. It should make your salinity around 1.024

Ibrahim said:
Add 14 cups of salt then just fill up your tank with RO/DI water. It should make your salinity around 1.024

So, whats the math behind the 14 cups? The package said .5 cups per gallon, but what if i dont know the exact number of gallons?

Thanks for putting up with all my questions ibrahim..

Gboy66 said:
So, whats the math behind the 14 cups? The package said .5 cups per gallon, but what if i dont know the exact number of gallons?

Thanks for putting up with all my questions ibrahim..

Your tank is 29g so 14 cups makes 28g about a gallon or two is taken up by the volume of the sand alone. Your goal should be 1.024-27 for a reef and 1.021-24 for a FOWLR. The directions is for 1.023 SG so I figured it'd leave room for you to add more salt if the SG was too low as opposed to adding more RO if it was too high. And np :) just here to help.

Ibrahim said:
Your tank is 29g so 14 cups makes 28g about a gallon or two is taken up by the volume of the sand alone. Your goal should be 1.024-27 for a reef and 1.021-24 for a FOWLR. The directions is for 1.023 SG so I figured it'd leave room for you to add more salt if the SG was too low as opposed to adding more RO if it was too high. And np :) just here to help.

Ok, so if i wanted to add all the water now, i would put around 14 cups of salt in the very last bucket?

How much salt does it take to mess with the salinity? Like, if i accidentally added 1 more cup of salt, would that change the salinity up or down one point?

Also, can i run the powerheads/filters/skimmer when i am done adding the water? (there is no sand or anything else in the tank)

Gboy66 said:
Ok, so if i wanted to add all the water now, i would put around 14 cups of salt in the very last bucket?

How much salt does it take to mess with the salinity? Like, if i accidentally added 1 more cup of salt, would that change the salinity up or down one point?

Also, can i run the powerheads/filters/skimmer when i am done adding the water? (there is no sand or anything else in the tank)

Um.... I'm not sure but it might make it rise by one point. You can add the salt in the last bucket. And yes you can turn on the pumps etc now but not the protein skimmer until you have the salt in your tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom