Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #821
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Just be careful when you have sand clouding the water current with your filters running. That's how I broke my powerhead.

needmorecowbell is offline  
Old 01-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #822
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
If you just added your water it sturred up the sand. No big deal. It'll clear up faster with the filtration.

Also, my Royal Gamma, Neon Goby, and my Clown are best friends. They swim infront of my tank all day. The goby hangs on my gamma and my clown has even started eating some mysis shrimp like the gamma and goby...
Haha hopefully my fish have that kind of bong!! Thats awesome!!!


Anything i can do to help the salt dissolve? It kindof sits at the bottom even with the powerheads
__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Old 01-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #823
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
Just be careful when you have sand clouding the water current with your filters running. That's how I broke my powerhead.
No guys, that was all salt! Lol
__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 01:02 AM   #824
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66
Anything i can do to help the salt dissolve? It kindof sits at the bottom even with the powerheads
Point them at the bottom of the tanks so that it's always disturbed,
__________________
Ibrahim is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #825
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

Point them at the bottom of the tanks so that it's always disturbed,
Ok, ill move the powerheads to ground level, that way itll kick up the salt more. Is it common for just salt to make a tank this cloudy?
__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #826
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Ok, ill move the powerheads to ground level, that way itll kick up the salt more. Is it common for just salt to make a tank this cloudy?
Yea it is. When I mix in buckets it's like that for a few hours but should clear up in a day.
__________________
Ibrahim is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 01:17 AM   #827
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

Yea it is. When I mix in buckets it's like that for a few hours but should clear up in a day.
Cool thanks lol we were pretty confused. Also, should refractometer readigs be taken once the entire tank is mixed more?
Were getting wrong readings, but thats testing lile 1hr after the addition of salt
__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #828
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Cool thanks lol we were pretty confused. Also, should refractometer readigs be taken once the entire tank is mixed more?
Were getting wrong readings, but thats testing lile 1hr after the addition of salt
Wait until the water is clear and there is no salt film on the bottom of the tank.
__________________
Ibrahim is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #829
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

Wait until the water is clear and there is no salt film on the bottom of the tank.
Ok, got it. Thanks man
__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 AM   #830
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Thought id post some more pics, now everything is running!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3135680725.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	68447   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2887233172.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	68448  

__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #831
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Looking good!
needmorecowbell is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #832
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,640
Looking good. What I do with mine, I have a 750 slightly pointed up to keep my water rippled and a smaller 550 pointed towards the bottom opposing corner of the tank. This makes up really nice current for the tank that my fish simply love. I added the smaller one due to issues with no circulation behind my rocks and bad growth. Has solved the issues aside from the bad growth at the top of my tank, but that is being fueled by my T5s.
__________________
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #833
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Looking good. What I do with mine, I have a 750 slightly pointed up to keep my water rippled and a smaller 550 pointed towards the bottom opposing corner of the tank. This makes up really nice current for the tank that my fish simply love. I added the smaller one due to issues with no circulation behind my rocks and bad growth. Has solved the issues aside from the bad growth at the top of my tank, but that is being fueled by my T5s.
Nice, i am thinking about this method along with the idea of having 1 powerheads on the same side at the top pointed down
__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #834
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,640
Might work, not sure. What are your plans on stocking? The net was out on my phone and I've been busy with the holidays so I am days behind on this post...aka like, 40 pages in your thread lol.
__________________
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #835
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 101
Looking good!
__________________
fishy5559 is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #836
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Might work, not sure. What are your plans on stocking? The net was out on my phone and I've been busy with the holidays so I am days behind on this post...aka like, 40 pages in your thread lol.
Lol! Lets see we were thinking

Sw Stock List

1 Ocerellis clownfish
1 B&W Clownfish
1 midas blenny
1 Orange stripe prawn goby OR ywg
1 gramma
1 flasher wrasse OR bangaii cardinal

We will only have 5 fish if we feel 6 is too much. Well also add very slowly
__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #837
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,640
I'm hoping your B&W is an ocerellis...I can never keep all my clowns straight anymore...or they will have fun beating on each other probably. Your tank is tiny like mine, not big enough for 2 different types.
__________________
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #838
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
I'm hoping your B&W is an ocerellis...I can never keep all my clowns straight anymore...or they will have fun beating on each other probably. Your tank is tiny like mine, not big enough for 2 different types.
Skip the b&w? What else would you recommend?

People have been saying buy both clowns first and add them at the beginning together but i dunno
__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #839
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Skip the b&w? What else would you recommend?

People have been saying buy both clowns first and add them at the beginning together but i dunno
Get two true percula clowns
__________________
Ibrahim is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #840
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

Get two true percula clowns
Oh and there would be less problems?

I was thinking a helfrichi firefish would be cool too, olny problem is that we have alot of space for jumpers
__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
build, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally Gonna go Saltwater - 29 Gallon build spoonman Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 230 09-02-2012 11:16 AM
55 gallon reef - First Saltwater Build Ever! matthewh133 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 200 11-28-2011 03:26 AM
First time 46 gal saltwater build. Couple questions Gunk Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 08-04-2011 11:18 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.