GBOY & NU NU 30 gal saltwater build!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the high ammonia/nitrite/nitrate conditions will feed algae and can cause it to bloom very rapidly, removing chemicals that you need to get your tank cycled with. With enough algae in there, it is prfectly safe to add fish, done all the time with fw planted tanks, but most people dont enjoy the look of algae. While most tanks do get an algal bloom, it is certainly not necessary to have one on your way to a healthy tank nor is it guaranteed. By keeping lights off and removing one of the necessary parts for algae you limit the growth of it. Plus it saves money, both in elec cost as well as bulb life, we only get 6-8 months out of em, by not running them for the first month while cycling youve extended your first set of lights by 1/5

Well I've never known a new tank not to have an algae bloom.

First diatoms, then green, film or hair.

As far as I'm aware ammonia or nitrite don't fuel algae, but nitrate and phosphate certainly do.

plants can and do use ammonia more readily than nitrate, but either way look at the levels of nitrate while cycling, many go above 100 def feeding the problem.

as far as tanks not getting algae, ive set my qt up 4 times now, using ceramic beads moved from my dt, and only had algae bloom once, some is def going to happen but does not have to be a problem.

here is a little tidbit about plants using ammonia according to Diana Walstad, there is no definitive evidence that plants take up NH3 directly. Rather, since NH3 has no charge, it can diffuse right through the plant cells while NH4+ cannot. But once the NH3 gets into the plant cells, it usually finds a free H+ atom and becomes NH4+ that the plant can then use and store.

At the end of the day, not having lights on during the cycle is just prolonging the inevitable.

Get them on and get it over and done with.

The faster the uglies pass, the sooner you have a pristine reef.

The end.

Its not inevitable, and having them on while having massive ammounts of food avail is cause for a massive bloom, not necessary! Either way the point is moit as he has a xenia frag and needs his lights on in order to keep them alive.

You are welcome to your opinion as I am mine.

He will be wishing the stuff was dead shortly anyway, pest coral as far as I'm concerned, along the same line as aiptasia.

kurtyboh said:
in case you'd rather not believe me, mr x has a lot more rep and says

hope you dont mind my quoting you from a different thread Doug(also i hope it works)

It's not about what you or x think.

You will find thousands that agree with me and the same that agree with you.

Do it as you like, it will lead to the same outcome just at different points.

You can remove the food for algae before it has a biomass if you do your pwcs before starting your tank... You get a little algae you scrub a little remove the small amount you get instead of scrubbing until you have gorrilla arms. You might not think highly of him,but when stuff gets weird, x has answers.

kurtyboh said:
You might not think highly of him,but when stuff gets weird, x has answers.

No, I never said anything of the sort, I think he's an extremely knowledgable individual, however I don't agree with him on this.

As I say, opinions, that's all.

It's called open debate, generally what forums are all about.

kurtyboh said:
Yeah, you can run them anytime you want so you can watch them in the evening. Actinics on for 12hrs, rest of the lights on for 10hrs.

So white antics 8am-7pm
Blues on from 10am-7pm?

Ya, i'd like to keep the lights on, so the xenia doesnt die. Pest? Probably. But i am a beginner arent i?

If you like softies then xenia will be great, we all like our own preference, I used to like softies too, nothing wrong with them as a starter coral I guess.

Leighton79 said:
If you like softies then xenia will be great, we all like our own preference, I used to like softies too, nothing wrong with them as a starter coral I guess.

Ya, my lights arent crazy good, so i cant go for the hard coral at all. Cant you just frag it off if it grows too much??

Yes, but try and isolate what you have, I'd put the rock that it's on separate somewhere.

Easier than trying to peel it of other rocks.

Some Xenia is actually quite pretty, there are several different varieties.

Ok, here are some pics guys!

Attachments

• image-3087329096.jpg
    image-3087329096.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 69
  • image-711402106.jpg
    image-711402106.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 59
  • image-2178683548.jpg
    image-2178683548.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 65
  • image-778009910.jpg
    image-778009910.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 59
Using your actinics as a warm up and cool down helps keep your livestock from getting scared from either a bright flash or total darkness. Sichas actimc on at 10am, whites at 11am. Whites off at 9pm, actinic off at 10pm.

kurtyboh said:
Using your actinics as a warm up and cool down helps keep your livestock from getting scared from either a bright flash or total darkness. Sichas actimc on at 10am, whites at 11am. Whites off at 9pm, actinic off at 10pm.

Ohhh that antics are the blues right? Sorry.

And this is in my brothers bedroom, so i think ill have to turn off the lights earlier at night

Times are completely adjustable, just showing actinics on one hr before and one hr after the rest of the lights, if algae starts to grow cut back all lights by 2hrs and adjust from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom