General Feeding Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
How important is it to feed at the exact same time everyday?

And how many times a day do you usually feed? Or every other day?

*Waiting patiently for my books to come in*

I feed once every day at about 7pm.
As far as how important to feed at the same time, if I am late my fish let me know their displeasure. :wink:
A lot of people feed every other day or even every 3rd day. A lot depends on your stock. The important thing is not to overfeed. You only feed as much as they can eat in a couple minutes, you don't want excess food sitting around fouling the water quality.

Same as quarryshark. I used to feed in the am, but my schedule got hectic. and was unable to make sure all livestock are ok . So I switched to pm when I can dedicate the time to watch.

It is impossible for me to feed at one particular time every day (i work a rotating shift at work so I am not home at the same time month to month) and my fish don't seem to mind because i guess that is what they are used to. i do try and keep it in the evening though (sometime between 4:45-7:30 depending what shift i am on)

Feeding in the afternoon and evening also allows for the fish to be most active. Feeding in the morning usually results in having the lights off to the tank or having the lights just recently turn on.

I dont feed on a schedule. Regretfully I have to be honest and say I feed when i remember to.

I'm not sure if fish in the wild would get hungry and look for food at the exact same time everyday. I think feeding to an erratic schedule might even be the more natural way to do it. But I could be wrong. Still, it's cool to "domesticate" them to the point where they know it's feeding time and start getting frisky :)

Back
Top Bottom