Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kthehun89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Do i really need a mini generator for power outages? If so, how big? Here in Memohis, we had "Hurricane Elvis", a massive windstorm, and power was out for 3 weeks. Would an outage only a couple of hours long affect the tank? And finally, what do i turn off at night? Lights, filters, heaters?

A couple of hours is not a problem. In the summer, All I would run is my ph. I have heard about battery air pumps, which would keep up circulation. They sell power inverters, that hook up to a lighter of your car. They could power enough equip to keep the tank going. After a storm in '98 I was without power for 6 days :( :( . I bought a generator.

Last summer in NY we lost power for over 14 hours and I know guys that did nothing to there tanks and they were fine. Of course in a smaller tank with alot of Live stock then it may be a problem.
I have a 5000 watt generator and I power the whole house... Tanks, TV, frige, heat, water....... ect... Best 500 i have spent. I got it for Y2K and nothing happened. For just your tanks you could get a small one..... 2000 watt should be fine, you don't need to run your lights if thats too much of a draw on the generator. And a TV would be fine also..... Read up on them and pick one up if you got the extra cash... Piece of mind......

I plan to pick one up in the future myself.
Better safe than sorry. A Good investment that may one day save your... Investment.

Back
Top Bottom