Getting Stung

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcgray125

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello,
something in my tank stung me? any idea what it could be? my fore arms are covered with little red itchy bumps. Can you please let me know what would cause this? I have an anenome, Feather dusters, Hawaiian feather dusters (I think) some corals, a red starfish and other fish, I have never seen a bristle worm in my tank. any ideas?
thank you

Have you been handling live rock or any invertebrates, or does this happen just from getting your arm in the water?

I have been handling live rock, moving it around, I also have what looks like Hawaiian feather dusters, I felt a nasty sting when I was moving the rocks around, it's only happened twice now, boy it itches too

David S is probably right.Sounds like a bristle worm got you.Try putting some duck tape on the area and slowly pull it off.You probably have some of the bristles in the area causing the itching.

oh I'm going to try that, I don't think I have any bristle worms though can they hid in the rock and sand? thank you!!

dcgray125 said:
oh I'm going to try that, I don't think I have any bristle worms though can they hid in the rock and sand? thank you!!

They like to stay hidden in the rock and usually avoid light.When your tank has been in the dark awhile,take a small flashlight and start looking along the bottom between the rocks.By the way they are a good part of CUC unless they get to numerous.

Something Stung me Help?

hello,
something in my tank stung me? any idea what it could be? my fore arms are covered with little red itchy bumps. Can you please let me know what would cause this? I have an anenome, Feather dusters, Hawaiian feather dusters (I think) some corals, a red starfish and other fish, I have never seen a bristle worm in my tank. any ideas?
thank you

When I touched a bristle worm it was local to the hand. What kind of corals do you have any zoas? What kind of fish? I know some stings they suggest hot water like for lion fish or fox face.

I'm sorry about the identical thread how do I delete it? I've had the aquarium about 3 yrs and this is the 2nd time in 2 weeks? I have pajama fish, clown fish and blue beginner fish. a coral that looks like a piece of leather with little sprouts growing out of it, sea anemone, red starfish, several pieces of live rock, OMG! I just checked the aquarium and there is a bristle worm in there!! I never knew I had one, how do I deal with the itching on my forearm?? I will be MUCH more careful from now on. THANK YOU guys sooo much!!!!

It may b a fireworm. I am pretty sure u can handle bristle worms it is their very very similar cousin the fire worm, which can actually b dangerous sumtimes. Ur symptoms sound like that's what it is. Their r some good YouTube videos & source material out there for u to take it further since u've actually seen it.

I'm sorry about the identical thread how do I delete it? I've had the aquarium about 3 yrs and this is the 2nd time in 2 weeks? I have pajama fish, clown fish and blue beginner fish. a coral that looks like a piece of leather with little sprouts growing out of it, sea anemone, red starfish, several pieces of live rock, OMG! I just checked the aquarium and there is a bristle worm in there!! I never knew I had one, how do I deal with the itching on my forearm?? I will be MUCH more careful from now on. THANK YOU guys sooo much!!!!

Treatment for a bristleworm bite or sting includes the following:
It may b a fireworm. I am pretty sure u can handle bristle worms it is their very very similar cousin the fire worm, which can actually b dangerous sumtimes. Ur symptoms sound like that's what it is. Their r some good YouTube videos & source material out there for u to take it further since u've actually seen it.
Bristleworms can bite and leave there bristles in the skin causing exactly what has been described.

My big BW popped out his head today (fingers in foreground for size comparison) - I'd say he's about 1/3 out of the rock. I've seen about 12 inches or so at any one time, with more still back in the rock, so no idea how large he actually is. Have one other one across the tank (I hope its another one, ohterwise this guy is around 3 feet long).
bristleworm.jpg

I got stung by my urchin once and it hurt like a B*@#%^!

Back
Top Bottom