Ghost Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nøjo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if anyone had any experience or knowledge of Ghost Eels that they would like to share for those of us (well, me) that are thinking of getting one. There is one available in my favourite LFS and I'm going out to get some items to seal up the back of my tank to prevent escape. Specifically I'd like to know how compatible they are with cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, and peppermint shrimp. I have been told by a different LFS that they may attack/eat the peppermints but are fine with any cleaner type shrimp in the same tank, so I have my fingers crossed.

This eel is beautiful, the blue one with the yellow spine, yet I am extremely cautious about what goes into my tank. If anyone can share any information at all, it would be appreciated.

Nøjo said:
This eel is beautiful, the blue one with the yellow spine, yet I am extremely cautious about what goes into my tank. If anyone can share any information at all, it would be appreciated.

Sounds like a blue ribbon eel instead of a ghost eel. Ribbon eels are very difficult to feed. Beautiful yes, but not a very good first eel purchase.

Difficult in what way? The Blue Ribbon Eel is the same eel, just a different paint job. It is supposed to be ok with shrimp but most times people say this...they're wrong. I was hoping that someone has such an eel and can tell me what success or problems they had with it.

Ribbon eels go through color changes so it may depend on what stage you are getting the eel that says what color your getting. Difficult to feed as in they are all wild caught and some never settle down to a captive lifestyle. They need to be fed live feeder fish. If you can get them to eat that's great and after some time you may be able to get them to take thawed food from a stick. They like to burrow in the sand/rubble so a deep sandbed will help them feel more secure. And, if your unlucky enough to get one with pink on it chances are it's a female and will only live about a month. That's just how it is. Google Rhinomuraena quaesita and see what you come up with.
Here is a quote from Bob Fenner.
"Rhinomuraena species, the Ribbon Moray Eels. Ninety nine percent plus do not live a month in captivity. Most starve, refusing all food. Next most common category of loss is escape through the smallest of top openings, or plumbing. Last is "simple stress"."

They aren't impossible but there is a reason they are listed as expert only. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Some links with a little info:

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=8594
http://marinedepotlive.com/blue-ribbon-eel---rhinomuraena-quaesita-fish--eels.html
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ribbonmorayeels.htm

I was hestitant before, but after a bit more researching decided that despite all best intentions I don't have the right set up for an eel quite yet. It seems they either die right away or last for years and years...and even then it's really rare for them to die of any cause other than escaping from your tank and pulling a really expensive carpet dive. It's high on my wish list though, as soon as I can get my next tank all set up. Thanks for your time, it really sucks when you realize that your limitations don't let you get all the fish/eels that you want.

Next time...

Nøjo said:
it really sucks when you realize that your limitations don't let you get all the fish/eels that you want.

Next time...

I've been there. I'm sure we all have. But, it's better to be responsible and realize your limitations than to get it just because "you had to have it". Props to you for doing your research first. :)

Back
Top Bottom