Glass canopy with MH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrpope

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a tank where a 150W MH sits on legs 7" above the tank. I am concerned about having an open top, so I use a glass canopy to cover the tank. The temp stays about the same so there are no prbs here, but I was wondering if anybody knows if the glass cuts out a lot of light or not. I cant tell the difference with it on or off, but maybe its something the human eye cant see

thanks, Brian

Yes, you will loose some light penetration with the glass top and salt creep that builds up on it. Why not go topless? It allows for better gas exchange and better light penetration. Downside...you do loose more water to evaporation. But that is not a bad thing for your tank.

hmm, maybe if it was too close to the lights. I have plastic moonlight 4-5" from my MH's and all is ok. I keep my MH's about 8-10" off the water.

Here's why I'm a little skeptical about an open top. I live in a college dorm, with a bunch of idiots. With my luck something would find its way into the tank. Wouldnt the egg crate block out just as much light since it is a light diffuser?

I guess I'll just use eggcrate, since I already have some for light acclimation, and use the glass canopy for when I go out of town or something.

Thanks again, Brian

Back
Top Bottom