Glass shop refuses to drill my aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pain Devine

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 16 gallon AllGlass bowfront Aquarium. I took it to the local glass shop and the guy said "I'm pretty sure this is tempered glass. Tempered glass will explode if I try and drill it. I can't gaurentee the tank will survive the process."

So what the heck do I do now?

I didn't know All-Glass made a 16 Gallon bowfront. In any case, all the bowfronts that I know of have a tempered bottom. I don't know if anyone will take the risk. A hang-on-the-back overflow looks like your only solution to me.

I had an all-glass tank drilled. bow front as well. Only the bottom is tempered and had no problems whatsoever. The guys told me the same thing, "no guaruntees" but said they had done it before eithout problems. 4 days and $60 later I had the two prettiest 1 3/4" holes you've ever sliced your finger on. If they just say no, then find another shop.

What a pain... grrr... I should have just made the damn tank like I did with the refugium. I could drill the tank six ways to sunday if it were acrylic.

Back
Top Bottom