Glass that lets light go through

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savannafish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a new light for my tank for new incoming corals. Because the light didn’t come with a hood I need to hang it from my ceiling which means there is no top for my tank lol. Which is completely fine I just need to put a piece of glass over it until I get my seahorses because my clowns like to fight and jump out of the water . Would plexiglass work just fine for letting the nutrient from the light get through to the corals? Or is there a specific type of glass that is preferred...

I have acrylic tops on all my tanks (lexan, plexiglass all the same) and I have no issue with the light getting thru. I have to keep it clean, once every two weeks or so I pull them off a scrub them. Only thing to watch for is to be sure to use a soft cloth as they do scratch fairly easy.

Also, over time I find they start to sag a bit so I just flip them over. I run a sump so I don't have any cutouts for HOB filter etc. My tank is a 90 gal so the acrylic is 18" x 24" approx. I used 3/16" thick.

You could just as easily get a piece of glass cut but with acrylic it is easier to modify if you need to. Basic tools are all that is needed.

I’d never suggest such a cover as it prevents co2 exchange. I’d rather have a netting cover which you could get from somewhere like brs or even use light defuser.

I’d never suggest such a cover as it prevents co2 exchange. I’d rather have a netting cover which you could get from somewhere like brs or even use light defuser.

I respectfully disagree. I have never had a tank that the top plastic piece is so true and flat the it creates an airtight seal when laying a piece of Lexan on it. Also there is usually some kind of finger hole to allow you to remove the lid.

If you want an indestructible cheap lid, Lexan works.

(I am using these on FW tanks, not SW. If that makes a difference as I have ZERO experience with SW tanks)

I will have the back cut out for all my wires and tubing coming from the back of the tank. Not sure if that would make a difference?

IMG_1519780668.314744.jpg

Would have a small hole for feeding at the back cut out a little. Again this too would just be temporary for the clownfish which I would only have for about 2 more months. From my experiences seahorses can’t jump out of water so I would remove it once I got them lol

For a low flow tank like this, I’d want more fresh air hitting the surface of the water as possible for co2 exchange.
The seahorses should never jump as you said. If they do, I’d suggest turning the power off at the breaker before touching the water :)

For a low flow tank like this, I’d want more fresh air hitting the surface of the water as possible for co2 exchange.
The seahorses should never jump as you said. If they do, I’d suggest turning the power off at the breaker before touching the water :)

Ok!! Ty for the advise!

could go with egg crate been using it for years
attachment.php

gives the open top effect with out fish jumping

could go with egg crate been using it for years
attachment.php

gives the open top effect with out fish jumping

Yea I was thinking about welding something like that but would be lots of work. Where did you buy that? If I did get one would need a much smaller one for my tank.

most home improvement stores stock it in the lighting section bout $15. cuts easy with wire cutters / dykes

Back
Top Bottom