Glass top on tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I heard or read somewhere that you should not use glass lids on aquariums. Mine came with one and I use part of it - essentially to keep salt creep off my lights... but can see that it probably lets less light through. Can I get some pros & cons on glass lids?

Well, I took mine off as soon as I got my tank. But the saltcreep on the lights are a pian in the butt. I am constantly cleaning them. I may try to put mine back on for the winter but you got to clean them also.....seems like a never-ending job...LOL

There are some heat issues with the glass covers along with oxygen/water mixing. I am going to let someone else really answer this because I have only been doing this for about 10 months myself. This is what I found with my setup.

Mike

I go topless simply because your get more light pentration into the tank. A glass top with a few days worth of salt creep can really reduce the amount of light that gets to your corals. It also allows for better gas exchange. I do have to to top off a couple gals. every other day. I am lighting a reef with 260 watts of CF lighting. My corals enjoy the extra light they get from having no top. HTH...Lando

salt creep

pardon my newbie ignorance, but wouldn't the salt just get on the bulbs and reflectors instead?

I have a Coralife PC fixture. It has a plexi-glass cover over the bulbs. I just clean it once or twice a week.

pardon my newbie ignorance, but wouldn't the salt just get on the bulbs and reflectors instead?

Yep...I clean mine all the time. Clean the glass top.......or.....clean the fixtures and bulbs.......6 of one and a half dozen of the other....LOL

if u have an eel in a tank you should have it tightly sealed right so what efects will the whole gas exchange problem cause ?
in my tank i broke my glass lid while cleaning it so ive been goin withought a lid for months but the evaporation is a pain in the ass and i dont know what to do with my 150g when i finally set it up

I put plastic egg crate from hd. It is a white grid of plastic sold in the lighting section. The evap dosen't bother me, I usually have to add some kalsawasser anyway.

What purpose does the eggcrate serve - just to keep livestock from jumping out? Does enough light pass through this material to be considered negligible?

My coralife pc has a plexiglass shield over the bulbs so I can do as lando does - clean that instead of a larger piece of glass.

Egg crate lets plenty of light through. It does keep fish from jumping out. Just make sure you have the legs attatched to your Coralife fixture to keep it up off of the water. Lando

lando said:
Just make sure you have the legs attatched to your Coralife fixture to keep it up off of the water. Lando

Now if they only included the legs with the light fixture... $8.99 for 4 pieces of plastic is criminal :evil:

Back
Top Bottom