Glass Vs Acrylic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glass Vs Acrylic

• Glass

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Acrylic

• What's the difference?

• Total voters

seafan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've heard many different ideas about which aquarium to buy based on the design and shape and finally the material in which they are made. As I understand: acrylic can be formed into different shapes more easily, Is lighter and more durable to cracking; Glass is more scratch resistant, and cheaper.
What would you choose and why?

Glass has a green colored tint to it, acrylic doesn't. Unless you buy starphire($$) glass which has no green tint. Acrylic insulates better

I have only owned glass.
I am finicky about scratches in acrylic, so never have bought acrylic.
Is there a way to remove acrylic scratches and repolish the surface to as-new appearance?

I own an acrylic tank also for 1.5 years and have not scratched it yet on the inside. I guess some people are more careful than others. To help minimize scratches I just use a old credit card to clean the acrylic or rarely my acrylic safe magfloat that has been inspicted for any sand particles before use.

Their are scratch removal kits on the market. I bought one but never used it.

Good points made above but you might want to look at it from a size stanpoint IMO. The larger the tank, the more need for light weight materials. It really depend on where it's going in your home and if it will ever be moved. Large glass tanks do not move well after being set up for some time. Other than that, it's just preference but cleaning acrylic can be a serious pain.

Cheers
Steve

One thing that I forgot to mention I really dont like about most acrylic tank is that the opening on the top of tank is small which makes it very hard to put large pieces of rocks or corals in. Also the opening makes it hard to work inside the tank. You also do not get a lot of room to work with if you have stuff to hang off of the tank(depends on tank size).

Those are some of main drawbacks for me besides acrylic tank being costly

Once you've had both you'll develop your own preference.. I personally hate acrylic tanks.

melissfish said:
no problems with the glass but
I was about to ask "but what?".. then I noticed you were Aussie :p

Back
Top Bottom