Glass vs Acrylic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john0087

Aquarium Advice Freak
other than weight and strength, what are the advantages of Glass tanks vs Acrylic tanks?

I am planning my upgrade from my 37g glass to a 60g. I would perfer to save some money on a glass tank and use that for other equipment.

Is a 60gal large enough to warrent the added strength of Acrylic?
I will eventually be adding HOB fuge (actually I want to hang it on the side of the tank as a secondary display..I love science). Will a glass tank be able to support the weight?

What about maintenance? How easily does Acrylic really scratch?

Thanks

John

What about maintenance? How easily does Acrylic really scratch?

Let's put it this way....think smooth thoughts around it. Acrylic will scratch if you breath on it too hard. However, it does have some good things going for it, it's lighter than glass, stronger than glass, better insulater than glass and it is more clear than glass and doesn't have a green tint to it like glass.

Glass tanks are typically cheaper until you get into huge sizes, resists scratches much better than acrylic.

I think a HOB fuge will be fine on a 60g glass tank, I had one on the back of my 20L for years and never had an issue.

the main advantage of acrylic is it's noticeable clarity. the disadvantages are price and scratches easy.

It scraches easy enough, but if you are careful and mindful of this when aquascaping, you'll really enjoy the acrylic afterward.

Ok thanks

I was looking at the Seaclear with built in skimmer box. Is that the same thing as an overflow box? I want to be sure before I make any purchase. and i would rather have a built in overflow box.

Thanks

You guys forgot that Acrylic can be shaped into all kinds of cool looking tanks :D

tank8tu.jpg

reefrunner69 said:
Acrylic will scratch if you breath on it too hard.
Still laughing over that one :lol:

Only in my dreams :D

I thought the built in skimmer box was something in the back of the tank but still a part of the tank. Very similar to an overflow but I don't think it can be sent to a sump.

I thought the built in skimmer box was something in the back of the tank but still a part of the tank. Very similar to an overflow but I don't think it can be sent to a sump.

Unless it is part of an in tank filtratin system (I don't remember sealife systems doing one of thse, but it's been 6 years since I've dealt with them), it would be an in tank overflow. It would be a drilled tank. Easiest thing to do is pick up the phone and call them and ask ;)

Sounds good BeGiNeR_7. I’d also be curious to see what percentage use glass or acrylic and if it’s a standard tank or a “reef ready” tank :D

Back
Top Bottom