Goby & Pistol shrimp dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obscurereef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a yasha goby and a tiny pistol shrimp, under an inch. I got them 1 week ago and the goby came out the first few mornings and seemed stressed, but I haven't seen it come out any other time. I know people can put a fish in and it disappears for a week, maybe even 2 then reappear. I'm hoping this is the case, but do you think my goby and pistol died? Anyone have this experience? Thanks in advance!

obscurereef said:
I got a yasha goby and a tiny pistol shrimp, under an inch. I got them 1 week ago and the goby came out the first few mornings and seemed stressed, but I haven't seen it come out any other time. I know people can put a fish in and it disappears for a week, maybe even 2 then reappear. I'm hoping this is the case, but do you think my goby and pistol died? Anyone have this experience? Thanks in advance!

I don't see my pistol for days at a time sometimes. He may just be busy making tunnels under the rock that you can't see. I know mine made some tunnels in the back that I didn't know about until I was trying to get a fish out and moved Rock work. If they paired then the goby will stay with him. Especially if he is tiny.

Thanks for your response. I haven't seen any sand being kicked up or burrows except for the one my firefish darts in. I hope they're alive, but I have my doubts since I haven't seen them and they probably starved...or at least the goby did...

From what I've read, the shrimp will share the food he finds with the goby. They look out for each other. I can go long periods without seeing my goby, sometimes weeks. I know they have made an extensive burrow under the sand. I know of 4 openings, and there are probably some I don't know of. I just shoot some food into one of the openings everyday, and they've been fine. I hope yours are fine too- its likely they're just busy building a bigger burrow.

Hopefully that's the case! I really wonder what I'd find if I lifted up the rock, I wouldn't do it, just curious as to see the home of my sea star, firefish, and possibly pistol & goby.

obscurereef said:
Hopefully that's the case! I really wonder what I'd find if I lifted up the rock, I wouldn't do it, just curious as to see the home of my sea star, firefish, and possibly pistol & goby.

I know what you mean!! My family and I wanna get one of those little mini cameras on the end of a tube and put it in one of the openings to the burrow an see what the heck is under there. We'll never do that cuz it would scare the crap out of them, but it would be so cool to see!!

Back
Top Bottom