Goby ate cleaner shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two11devan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I woke up this morning to find my skunk cleaner shrimp missing and three antenna sticking out of my Diamond Watchman Goby's mouth. It doesn't look like the goby can swallow all of the antenna. What should I do with him???? They don't seem to be bothering him but they aren't moving. not sure if the skunk died and he ate it or if he killed it! This stinks!

The shrimp may have molted and is hidden away for a bit and the goby was not actually eating the shrimp.

I've never known a goby to have an appetite for shrimp. I'm thinking its not much you can do for the goby. Dunno.

Thats what I originally thought. Although I can't find the shrimp anywhere and I have seen him before right after he molts. The goby's stomach looks pretty full. Could there be any danger to the goby with the antenna hanging out?

Could there be any danger to the goby with the antenna hanging out?

I'm guessing there could be. Just guessing though. Not like you can tell the goby to say "ahhhh" while you pull the antenna out. Maybe nature will take it's course and he can expel'm.

What kinda goby we talkin' anyway?? 8O I'm sure some would be interested in what kinda goby might try to swallow shrimp. I'd bet the goby is at least 4-5".

When they do molt they are extremely good hiders. Just because you cant see him doesn`t mean he is not there. Hopefully it was his molt. I`ve never heard of that before either.

Well, the antenna are gone now but still no sign of the shrimp. I'll keep my fingers crossed but I'm pretty sure the bulge in the Goby's belly is where the shrimp went. It has molted before and has not hidden (not saying it couldn't be hidden this time). I have seen the goby "snap" at it when it gets too close around feeding time but thats it. It is a diamond watchman goby approximately 2.5-3in long.

two11devan said:
Well, the antenna are gone now but still no sign of the shrimp. I'll keep my fingers crossed but I'm pretty sure the bulge in the Goby's belly is where the shrimp went. It has molted before and has not hidden (not saying it couldn't be hidden this time). I have seen the goby "snap" at it when it gets too close around feeding time but thats it. It is a diamond watchman goby approximately 2.5-3in long.

That would be a first if he did eat him.

My Cleaner shrimp will virtually ride my Watchman goby. He will get on the goby's back when he swims by, and sort of ride him to the other side of the tank.

-TheChad

I had a purple dottyback with a cleaner shrimp w/ no problems for months. One day at feeding time whap! the dottyback bit the tail clean off the shrimp. Stuff happens, an easy meal is an easy meal lol. Hoping for the best..Good luck

Well, haven't see the shrimp since I posted this. As I feared, the goby ate it. I wish I knew if it killed it or if it died on its own and became an easy meal. Makes me worried about getting a replacement...

In a 125g, I'd get 3 more replacements. Maybe the other 2 could look out for the third. :roll:

Still, I'd consider that a blip on the screen and think chances are slim it'd happen again - unless you got that one killer goby. I'd bet still that the goby wouldn't go thru that again and have shrimp stuck in his mouth for a day or two.

Besides, only one shrimp in a 125g??? That's no fun IMO. They seem to be out more in numbers rather than alone IME.

Back
Top Bottom