Going to the beach!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beau_123

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so my family and I are going to the beach in a few weeks and I was woundering if I could bring back live fish or shells to put in my tank. Is there stuff I should look out for or stuff I shouldn't do?

You'll want to check the laws regarding catching fish, also consider how you'll get them home and how long it will take to get home. As far as shells I'd make sure anything you get is cleaned well before putting it in your tank.

I'm following! I'm going to punta Cana in a month and I want to nab some awesome driftwood and ship it back!!!

Ok I have been looking around online an I can't find anything about this but are there reefs near Florida?

Florida is where most aquarium fish are wild caught! Check out the show "fish tank kings", they go diving and catch all types of beauty's!

Assuming you are over 18 you will definitely need a fishing license to do this. That being said, the overwhelmingly vast majority of fish you will be able to catch aren't suited to living in a normal aquarium.

Yeah, Florida has very strict laws on wild life. We do have some beautiful reefs down in the keys though. You must receive a divers license, and be in an area where it permitted. Honestly, your mostly going to catch lady fish, grouper (not the ones for aquariums) and average fish like that. Most fish here aren't meant for aquariums. I'd look at the Florida Wildlife Agency and go to the Florida keys website, if that's where you are going.
Where are you going in Florida?

That's up in the pan handle. Not the best area for reef creatures, but you can probably find snails or hermits. The best places are in the southern region.Like from where I live in the Sarasota/Bradenton area on the west coast (Siesta Key is our prized beach) and probably from west palm beach (East Coast) down to the keys are the best for fishing depending on what you are looking for.

Shells are fine just make sure they are not a creatures home since some are illegal to harvest, I go to the beach all the time and nab shells to glue frags on. Rocks and other items are illegal to take in the state of Florida. Each beach is different so ensure you look at your beaches regulations before harvesting! Enjoy and welcome to the sunshine state!

Be careful. I brought home a cute tiny little crab that my grandkids caught. He was probably about 5/8" diameter. Next thing I know he's the size of a nickel and scrapping with the fish for food. Then he decided the fish WERE food. My LF found him a home in an aggressive fish tank.

you may want to check with Florida fish & wildlife first , because if you get caught with something you shouldn't have you can face big fines and possible jail time ,

Ok so how should I go about cleaning my shells and stuff so I can put them in my tanks?

florida fish to catch

I live in fl so I know there is one fish the state hopes you will catch the lion fish they are taking over and there is no limit they are an invasive species that were released from the aquarium trade also if ya happen to run across an python or two call and have wildlife officals and have it pick it up all Floridians will thank you

I went to Cape San Blas last year! It was beautiful. A storm had just come across the area right before we got there, so there were LOTS of tide pools and TONS of young fish in them. I also literally bumped into a shark when I was in the water, but still.

Here is the legal info you will need:
Recreational Harvest of Marine Life (Aquarium) Species

You will need a license. I bought a non-resident 3-day saltwater fishing license.

and good luck! If you think fish are fast in an aquarium...just wait haha :)

Back
Top Bottom