goniopora..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PiscesLou

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got it today thinking it was a xenia...what do you guys think?Should I return it?My LFS had a 24 hour return or exchange policy?Has anyone figured out how to keep it alive?

I've had mine for a little over a month with no problems to this point.... fingers crossed.....

Exchange it!!!! They DO NOT do well long term. If you have one last 6 months consider yourself lucky. Well less than than 1% survive past a year. Frankly, it is irresponsible to harvest and/or sell them, IMO, and I'm sure many others would agree.

cool! I read your post about it! where do you have it in your tank?Do you feed anything?Dose?

I had one for about 9 months. It is down to two polyps left. It looked great for about the first 4-5 months. They are very attractive, but not meant for captivity....yet :mrgreen:

at my lfs there are 3 guys that take care of the fish section. one of the I think knows more about fish than corals, he told me it was a polyp!

It is a group of polyps(colony) that share a skeleton. Do a goggle search and you'll see what I'm talking about regarding survival. Another reef forum had a group of people organized to "Stop Goniopora Abuse" LOL. They need lots of light and lots of nutrients, and it's hard to get light through murky water, plus who wants a murky reef tank :lol:

Well....Ive read more articles on it....and from what Ive read, Ive got the most difficult coral to keep in a reef tank :lol: I am just starting to get corals too :lol:! I went to the LFS looking zoos.....Well if I decide to keep it...everything should be all downhill from here right? :D

You're probably right.... :).... but I'm stuck with mine so I'm gonna try and make it live... :).... I've got mine in a high light/low flow area... I don't have the "brown jelly" but I think a few polyps have died...... speaking of which.... to all of you out there....

Could this be adding to my nitrate problem???????

If you have the option, bring it back. Get something that will last longer. IF not, enjoy it while you can.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.... I don't think I can return it... I've just noticed a few times that when it totally shrinks down that there seem to be empty spots on the "core" ... this could just be fully retracted polyps I'm not sure.... I'll keep an eye on it... it seems to be doing really well otherwise...

We had ours a total of two weeks. We have metal hallides and great water quality. The first few days it opened like at the store, then it stopped extending all the way. I thought it might be light so moved it lower in the tank. It started to lose its polyps after 7 days and was a total slime ball after 10 so we moved it to a qt tank hoping to save it without an ammonia spike. Needless to say it turned into a brown and white mass of sludge and I finally threw it away at day 14. We had the right lighting, a mature system with many corals and inverts and did a longer than usual acclimation and it made no difference. They are simply not for the aquarium. Good luck with yours but keep an eye open for ammonia problems.

Back
Top Bottom