Good Anemone for 30Gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrpope

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 30 gal with 150W HQI MH and 2x65 watt Actinic PC 's. I want to get an anemone and I was wondering if you guys know of a good colorful one that will host a clown and will stay relatively small (one that wont get the size of my tank in other words). I have read a lot about them and which ones host certain clownfishes, but no real info from experience on which varieties are more difficult or agressive. I would like to get one that will be a decent tank mate with coral (which I plan to get soon).
I will get a clownfish later depending on the anemone I select.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Brian

first off, how old is your tank? It is not advisable to try and keep and anenome in tanks that are less then one year old. That being said, I am a fan of the bulb tip. they are fairly easy to care for once the tank is ready. they are also pretty hardy. At times you can find tank cloned ones so they are not wild caught. Good luck...Lando

Tank has aged for 8 months, wiht constant levels the whole time. I think its ready enough to give it a shot. This tank has recently had the not-reef-safe fish removed and I bought the big light.

Is it true that anemones will only get really big if there is insuffficient light and it stretches to get the maximum light intake?

Thanks for the advice!

I have a regular condy that my tomato, and perc loves!! They are constantly inside it. :wink:

I def. like the bulb way better, but the condy is hardy and prob good to start with. The condy is not known for hosting, but mine does! :wink:

The main thing I am concerned about is space. I want to be able to have ample room for some corals later on. Will the BTA get enormous? How long does it typically take them to get large? If it splits, would I be able to take one out and give to a LFS, or is that really hard to do?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to be sure I am getting the right anemone.

Brian

I think you might have too much light for the BTA to be happy.

I think a BTA would be ok. You would have to watch very closely when first acclimating it to the MH, let it move where ever it wants, and slowly increase the light cyle. Sebaes are a relatively high light demanding anemone but from what I've read less successful in aquariums compared to a BTA. I agree w/ lando and anemoneman, get a tank raised specimen if at all possible. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom