Good Coral Food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Corals typically eat phytoplankton or Zoaplankton...I don't think fish poop falls into those categories...I'd be interested in seeing where you read that from...

What coral in particular. Most corals rely mostly on light for their needs. They will capture some nutrients from the water column and that includes fish waste (nitrogen). Any nutrients that they ingest must be of the correct particle size too.

From Eric Borneman: "... corals require additional energy and materials in the form of nitrogen to build tissues and proteins. This nitrogen requirement is met from acquisition of prey, ingestion of particulate material and bacteria, and/or from absorption of dissolved nitrogen compounds."

I remember reading somewhere that fish poop is good for corals/sps. Does anybody know if this is true?

I've read that too - I think in something Sprung wrote - but I remember it more in line with what cmor mentions... they absorb the nutrients from the fish waste. I'm thinking that's what you meant, versus actually feeding polyps ground up poop! (Who knows... maybe you've come up with the next niche product in the aquarium market!)

I dont target feed but a few of my corals. Most of them get what they need from the lighting and water column.

Yeah that is probably right. What I remember is somebody with a really nice SPS tank (I think one of the tanks of the month on reef central) saying that they feed their fish a lot in order to basically make more natural poo in the tank from the fish, for the coral. Then of course they talk about the weekly pwc etc.

To a certain degree the answer is yes. When fish consume a meal a percentage is absorbed and waste is then created. Coral, fish, and other inhabitants then utilize the waste in nutrient absorption creating more waste broken down for other fauna to make use of. The process is a bioaccumulation of nutrients providing energy; however, exportation and suspension within the water column (unused) can interrupt the cycle, for better or for worse.

Thanks for clearing that up. Now I feel stupid for being happy the past few days when my Tang would take a big dump on my acro colony.:clown:

They would be happier with small meaty bits of food. Cylops is great food for fish and coral and brine shrimp. Its best to use 5 or 6 types of food from flake to mysis.Then feed more often with smaller amounts is helpfull also. If you have fish then if they are fead right then coral will get more then enough food.The amount of waste in your small home aquarium you want fish waste to a minimum and then your LR and LS and CUC clean it up fast.

Every now and again I use a turkey baster and blow the detritis off of my LR. My corals do seem to appriciate the meal provided by the water column when I do this. It is typically referred to as marine "snow" and it a combo of waste products, old food and the such. I would not rely on this method to feed corals all of the time.

And do use a turkey baster instead of ph. I used a MaxiJet1200 last week to blow detritus off my rock before a pwc. I knocked a few corals off their plugs and/or rock. I found most but lost 2 in the rockwork/sandbed.

Funny you mention that. I just changed my PWC "pump" to a MaxiJet 1200 from a 900 to speed things up. I normally blast my rocks off with the incoming flow from the pump as I put the water back in. I didn't loose anything because it's all glued down good, but there were sure some unhappy campers until I realized how strong the flow was!

I've since gone back to using the MaxiJet 900 which is much nicer on everyone!

I think the flow actually snapped one of the corals off it's base. There's a bit left on the base and I beleive that will now gorw out over time. But I guess I should order a 900 on my next order just to be safe(r). I'll still use the MJ1200 for the pwc until I decide to buy something bigger.

Back
Top Bottom