Good or Bad Skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pufferman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wanted to know if the Visi-Jet PS Protein Skimmer is good for the value. What i found interesting was that it was a venturi system for $30, all of the other venturi skimmers are about $100. Is this really too good to be true?

P-MAN

YES- it is horrible! I had one and they are useless. All they do is add an enormous amount of microbubbles to your tank. HORRIBLE. You can read my review of it on this site in the product reviews. A seaclone, although not great, is 15x's better. Aqua-c is a good choice, but you get what you pay for with protein skimmers.

I have a used remora with maxi jet 1200. I also have the rio 800 with surface skim box. All for $100 shipped PM me if you are interested.

alot of people also use a CPR Bak Pak 2r skimmer. I bought one. (Although I dont have any LR or fish yet, so my tank has not produced any protien scum.)

I chose that one over the remora because the water is returned to the tank through a tube instead of the waterfall method. which cuts down on the sound alot.

quote]I have a used remora with maxi jet 1200. I also have the rio 800 with surface skim box. All for $100 shipped PM me if you are interested.[/quote]

The remora is one of the best skimmers I've ever owned for a small tank, had a CPR bakpak 2R before the remora, and the remora skims circles around it. Awesome deal there, I'd jump on it!

I just got an remora erchin for my sump, Yuck that stuff was in my tank. within 24 hours there was pungent material in the cup. dont go cheap on the skimmer.

I love my Aqua C. It works great and was super easy to set up. I had a seaclone 100 before that for 2 monthes and I couldn't get it to do anything but add bubbles to my tank. The Aqua C was well worth the money.

captivereefs said:
I have a used remora with maxi jet 1200. I also have the rio 800 with surface skim box. All for $100 shipped PM me if you are interested.

I also have the remora with a the MJ1200 and it is working great. I have had it set up for about two weeks and I have to dump the cup out almost every other day. I'm not to pleased with how the PH looks just hanging there though. Does it look any better(or work) with the Rio 800? I geuss I need that skim box, huh?

The skim box works wonders to make it look better. and it adds to the effecency. Just make sure your water level doesn't drop to low, or you will be sucking air.

I know I may take some heat here but I have used the SeaClone 100 on my 40 gal. I had no problems with it at all. The thing skimmed like no tomorrow. Although it's break-in period seemd to be too long. I took about two months before it stopped shooting little bubbles into my tank and really started working. Since then, 100% satisfied. Drsfostersmith.com has it for under $70 so it won't break the bank.

If anybody wants a used prizm i have one of those also. I would not put on a tank over 20 gallons though.

Back
Top Bottom