Good Stand Alone Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

studmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all, been trying to figure saltwater piece by piece. Because of my fish (brackish water Green Spotted Puffer and Mollies), I have brought my tank from slightly brackish to full marine now over a year or so.

I'm trying to find a good stand alone protein skimmer that I can use with my set up. I don't have the set up for a sump, so I need to find a good stand alone protein skimmer that will sit under the tank. I have a 50G tank with an Eheim Classic 2215 Canister Filter.

Any suggestions?

I could also potentially use a hang on tank skimmer, but I can't have it going more than 3-4 inches above the top of the tank. Taking a look at the Coralife brand of skimmers it looks like they are sticking up like foot or so.

I'll let the skimmer experts step in, but you don't want to skimp on them. I hear Aqua C Remora, ASM, Octopus and Excalibur are the better brands to get.

I would strongly suggest getting either a Reef Octopus, or a CPR Bak-Pak. These are great stand alone skimmers for the money. I have a HOB Reef Octopus BH-100 and i wouldn't trade it for any other skimmer. Worked 100% perfectly right out of the box.

Places like Aquacave.com or marineandreef.com or premiumaquatics.com have both of these skimmer brands for pretty darn good prices. Also, at aquacave.com, the shipping is only 4$, and that's where i got my Reef Octopus from.

Good point Larry, I missed the no sump part.

To make sure I understand what you want to do:

You want a recirculating skimmer to sit under your tank (in the stand) and draw water from the display and return water to the display. Correct?

If so, then the Bak-Pak is out. It's a HOB.

So we're talking gravity feed and pump return?

Maybe someone's done it, no one I ever heard of.

If you're going to drain water over the rim anyway why not just put a small tank in there for the skimmer and a return pump. Only difference seems to be the tank. It could even be a 10g wit nothing but the skimmer and return pump. 300 gph overflow and a tiny pump for a return.

Unless I'm missing something I think you need to rethink it.

This is a pic of m3drver's set up

IMG_5868.jpg

Although mine ( DNW-150) can be placed outside the sump, I believe the OP doesn't have a sump and wants to have the skimmer gravity fed and then use a return pump to push the water back up to the DT. Not sure how that will work. :confused:
I agree with CaptainAhab, Just put a small tank under the DT just for the skimmer /return pump and a small overflow on the DT. A similar version of how mine is setup.

Correct but the OP is talking about it sitting under the tank and being fed and returned to the tank. That is the issue

I missed it that there wasnt a sump at all. Sorry for the miss leading info.

I agee with the Capt and m3 it sounds like having something gravity fed and returned by pump other that a sump you my be asking for problems.

You could make a small (just large enough for the skimmer) acrylic sump for the skimmer.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I would love to get a sump, but have no room right now. I would have just enough for a stand alone protein skimmer under the tank, but they aren't too common.

In the end I think I'll go with the HOB Remora, as it only needs 2 3/4" behind the tank. It isn't perfect as I'll have a big device sticking up from my tank. Does anyone know, in the future when I get a bigger stand can I put the HOB Remora on the sump instead of the DT?

You'd have to DIY to extend the intake tube to the proper depth, possibly the outtake too unless the splash didn't bother you. Performance may suffer since the pump isn't rated for that head height (though you could replace that too).

IMO

Yeah i agree with the Captain. I was going to do this as well, and put my HOB on my sump, but when i learned that head height ruins everything, and the fact i didnt have the money for the new pump to minimize head loss.. then i just decided to keep it on the tank. I don't know what you plan to do, but when the time comes, i plan to just get a whole new skimmer to go in the sump.

okay, so I won't use it in my sump when I get one. I guess I'll just have to get a second larger tank (when space permits) along with nice sump and in sump skimmer. :D

I can use my current 50gal as a quarantine tank :D

Back
Top Bottom