gorgonian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianeww

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone have any experience with, or suggestions for, this guy:

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_1...ategory=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

Try? Don't try? My aquarium has been running for a year and a half, and I have several successful soft corals: Huge hairy mushrooms, two toadstool leathers, big frogspawn, lots of smaller mushrooms (blue, red, green ricordia) .

I've never had a branching coral like this one, but it looks interesting. Advice?

if you have a low light-strong flow area in your tank and you dose with phyto,marine snow, or simmilar coral food- you should be good. ive heard that they are pretty hardy but i have seen lots in different tanks that are suffering due to algae buildup.

Thank you, all...

I was curious because Saltwaterfish.com offered me one from their list of freebies for repeat customers. I did order it, and I am amazed at the size they sent! This thing is 8 inches tall, with 3 large branches which divide into at least 10-12 branches (am I making sense?) When all the little polyps come out, it's just gorgeous!

Thank you for your help....I do have Phytoplankton (Kent Marine ChromaMax), which I'll feed it (3 times a week?) . I can just add it to the tank, right, no target feeding necessary? Should i make sure I feed it when all the polyps are open?

I put it at the bottom of the tank, and there's a powerhead directed almost exactly at it. Good?

That is a beautiful gorgonian. Sounds like you got a good one and that your set it up right.

Make sure you keep up the dosage. Only target feed every now and then.
They aren't that hard, but you have to make sure you have a few types of filter feeder foods available and you don't overdose.

Make sure you keep up the dosage
don't overdose

I'm not sure I understand.

The only filter-feeding food I have is Kent Marine ChromaMax phytoplankton, and the instructions say to feed one drop per 50 gallons every other day. I have 75 gallons, and I thought I would try 2 drops 3x weekly. Will I have to target feed the gorgonian? There's a method people use with the bottom cut off a soda bottle, right?

My other corals are various mushrooms, anthelia, frogspawn, and two toadstool leathers. These don't filter feed, am I right? I'm becoming more coral-confused as I go!

By the way, the gorgonian is flourishing, is the prettiest non-fish I have in the tank right now ( except maybe the frogspawn, to which I'm partial)! I do want to keep it healthy, please all give more advice!!!

You can use a turkey baster to target feed. Put the two drop in a cup and add tank water. Suck it up in the baster and slowly spray the gorgonian. The other corals will like it too.

OK, so I turkey-baster-spray the gorgonian with phyto-plankton mix. This obviously goes eveywhere in the tank. Will my other corals benefit?
C'mom, guys 'n' gals, I'm a newbie here!!! A year and a half is still newbie -ish, right?

Yes anything in the water column that can be food for the corals is good. Just don't over do it.

Back
Top Bottom