Got a mandarin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmor1701d

Aquarium Advice Addict
Tank is a 125 that's been up about 20 months with 245# of LR and 6"-8" DSB. A friend has been bugging me to get a mandarin for quite a while and I finally decided it was time. Got it from liveaquaria last Saturday (2nd one after 1st shipment didn't get here for days). Acclimated for about 1½ - 2 hours, released a beautiful specimen and it immediately went behind the rocks to the back of the tank.

Saw a portion of him Tuesday night while peering between the rocks with a flashlight. Haven't seen him since. I was about to post a message asking if any one knows how to coax one to the front of the tank. On my way past the tank, there he was.

It was hanging out near the top of the rocks, not a care in the world. It also appeared to be about twice the size of the specimen I released but I doubt it can grow that fast. I just stared at it for a few minutes and realized I needed to get some pictures. As I dashed off for the camera, he dashed behind the rocks again :(

Guess it's just a question of time now. I'll post a pic when I can get one.

Figures that the camera battery is just about dead when he pops out again. Here's a couple of very poor photo's. Better one's to come.

Not everyone QT's fish. It is recommended but IMO not always necessary. Especially with mandarins. Most mandarins will not eat prepared foods so having one in QT for 3-4 weeks is not good for the fish.
Has anyone ever seen a mandarin with ich? I never have, not sure they get it with there protective slime coat. Bacterial infection is another issue.

I've always been afraid to get a Mandarin since I understand they need a healthy supply of 'pods and live foods. Let us know how he does.

You put a new fish in a 125G tank with no QT???
YEP!, just as seaham358 said. Every other fish went through a QT period. My research on dragonets is that they rarely get ich and don't do well in QT, so in it went. Just over a week later he seems quite healthy

I know I have enough pods with the LR and DSB and pod pile. I'll post better pics when I can get them.

They are the coolest looking fish. I long for the day my tank is mature enough to house one of those! Can't wait to see your next photos ... *hint hint*

The mandarin is very camera shy. I'll keep trying but it might be a while before I can get a good photo. He back between the rock after every attempt.

There are several different types of dragonets. The GREEN is also called the striped, vs. the spotted. You can check some out here{/url].

Congrats! it should be very hapy in it's new digs. I did not QT my mandarin either. SInce they have such a specific food supply, they would not survive too long in a QT tank. They do have a pretty think mucus covering that makes them fairly resistant to infections/paracites. Good luck with the new addition! Lando

great fish!

And its good that your responsible about making sure it was "time" before you got one.

I have seen so many of them go home only to be put in a 10 gallon tank with no Live Rock. :( The Mandrin should not be made so readily available to the hobbiest. (my LFS has about 5 at any given time. ) There should be some sort of law that says that you must have a certain size tank with a certain amount of LR and a certain age of the system before you can leagally purchase this fish.

anyways. It looks like you are on the right track! more pics!

she looks like one beautiful fat and happy fish great buy i did not qt my mandarin either cmor like you figured fastest path to the pods was more important as she gets used to the tank you will see her more and more so keep the cam close :!:

My LFS has an ocean full of these beauties at any given time too. I'm with Rocket. You should have to pass a test before you can take one home. If it weren't for you guys I'd probably already have one :)

Jester, Mandarins are dragonets and there are Finger, Ocellated(Scooter), Spotted(Psychedelic, Picture), Stellate(Starry), and of course the Green Mandarin Dragonets. HTH

so jealous...I wanted a green mandarin when I setup my tank...then I find out their special diet needs, and that my tank just isn't large enough.
*cry*
some day though.

and for teh record, a local guy here is keeping mandarins with frozen mysis shrimp. So its doable, but I wouldn't advise it unless you're a big fish geek, and are willing to return the fish if he won't eat mysis and gets too skinny.

Some do eat prepaired foods, most wont. I had one that would eat shrimp, He was big and died after 6 months :( Not sure whay he was fat??
Waited a while before I got another and also added a fuge.

Back
Top Bottom