Got an Anenome Hermit Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I got an anenome hermit crab and it has 2 anenomes on it....One though, is on the bottom of the shell and the crab is dragging it around.. It doesn't look too happy about this situation. Is there a way I can safely remove the one on the bottom and try to attach it to a piece of rock? Or, should I leave it alone?

An anemone small enough to be attached to a hermit crab shell is more than likely an Aiptasia. Is it brown and possibly mottled with thin pointed tenticles? Somewhat clear?
You can mix a strong solution of kalkwasser (pickling lime) and water, say 1 tsp/oz, and inject or place the solution into the anemone's oral disk. It will dissolve the anemone or at least allow for you to siphon it out. You do not want these pests in your tank.

Mark

Huh?

The anenomes are purple not brown. According to what I read on these, when they move to a new shell, they will take the anenome with them...I dont know what kind of anenome it is however, I know my fish hate it..

What does Aiptasia look like?

I dont think it is a aiptasia by his discription. I think it is a symbiotic relationship between the crab and anenome. Similar to a pom pom crab.

Correct

Thanks Micheal,

The anenomes on the shell are definately not Aiptasia according to the descriptions...The base of the anenome is fat...Purple.

I was actually wondering how to get the little one off of the bottom of the crab without hurting it...I will try to get a picture of the crab so that you can see

Anenome

Ok, so I take it, Aiptaia or not, no-one hs removed an anenome from a rock, glass, etc...? Can I use tweezers? Another thing, are you telling me that anenomes start as big as your fist? They never start out the size of a quarter? Huh??? I don't understand. Maybe the place for this is in a book...

Anemones born from eggs start small. Anemones born from splitting (possibly more common in our tanks) start out much larger.

I would not attempt to move the anemone. Anemones and mushrooms will move on their own. Any attempt at moving the anemone will injure it. Leave it alone.

Mark

I agree, if the anenome is unhappy he will move. Attempting to remove a anenome almost always results in the tearing of there foot. Once its foot is tore it is just a slow death for them from then on out.

Back
Top Bottom