Got my lights, a little too long, suggestions needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

Well I got this light:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46314&item=4384376034&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

He advertised it as 16" long, but that was the BULB length.
He didnt measure it right.

As you can see in these pictures the overall length is 17.5".

It is going in a hexagonal canopy that is like 16.5" wide from flat to flat part (Not corners to corners).

I hate to send this back just because of this little bit, and its 72 watts total, that is the most wattage I have found (without doing MH) under or about 16" with decent wattage (the next highest wattage was 32 watts).

SO. Any ideas how to make this work?

img_418876_0_663d6534964ef9a6b0171b7a4d281a58.jpg

img_418876_1_7a3a726abea3b458ab26f77430cbcf7d.jpg

img_418876_2_ae95e27da3341ff1f1ea0b20480a9d8f.jpg

img_418876_3_003b36302eb967ced05df8b78c7561be.jpg

Thats the prob.

Its a little too long, 1"-1 1/2" too long.

Was wondering if any of you had any ideas how to make it fit?

I thought of that, and I am going to try that next time and see how exactly that would fit (Canopy being built at differant location than tank). I am thinking it is too wide to do that (Unless I cut the reflector into two points on each end, it then might work).

If that doesnt work I thought of cutting holes in the back of the tank for the endcaps to go through.

I am still unsure, waiting for more ideas though.

Two possible options, both involve a Custom Canopy

1. Build a canopy that is shapped like this \_/ so the top is wider than the bottom.

2. Build a canopy that is the correct size and have the "extra" 1-2 " hang out the back. Can have a small box to cover extra or just leave it if youd like.

I would either try it at an angle if that dont work i was going to suggest cutting the back of the canopy also you beat me to it.

If it was too short then it would be nothing to make it fit. But it's not. It's too long. There are all sorts of ways to make it fit. But you have got to ask yourself:
Is it going to add to the effect that you are looking for?
Is it going to add to the health of your tank?
Is it worth it to try and make it work?
If you have to answer no to any of these, then you might really think of sending it back and have them send you the correct size. The add does say "16" inch long. 2 X 36 watt Power Compact retrofit kit system." Not 17 1/2"

Yes to all three.

Yes, it will add to it, much brighter light.

Yes it will add to health, again, more wattage.

Yes I want to try to make it fit, otherwise I wouldve posted this.

Here is what I am going to see if it will work this evening:

Put it from corner to corner on the tank (roughly 18" if I remember). See how JUST the lights and caps fit without the reflector. If they fit going that ways (again its a corner I am not sure if it will work or not) I can see how the reflector fits and trim as needed.

Depends on if the canopy is open in the back, or if it is vented in the top. If it is solid, then you may need a fan depending on how cool your house is.
Another factor to consider is if the ballast is inside the canopy or not. The ballast will add more heat than the lights will.

Well it looks as if I will be able to stick it where the filter will be going. I hope it will fit!

If it doesnt I dont know what I will do...

Back
Top Bottom