GOT SOUTHDOWN, WOOHOO!!! Uhhh....Now What?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stresco

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, i went to HomeDepot and got 100lbs of thier Tropical Play Sand, SouthDown for $13.00 (says on the bag: Not Recomended for Aquarium Use :? ). What should i do with it? Do i need to rinse it? How? Do i need to dry it? How? Can i mix it with the stuff in my tank? How? Do i need to remove the sand thats in my tank already? HOW? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Please help.

rinsing some say yes others no most say no what is in your tank now cc or sand?

(says on the bag: Not Recomended for Aquarium Use ).

They are required by contract to print that. Just disreguard.

I say dont rinse it.

I would say you should slowly add the sand to build up your sand bed. Dumping all of the sand in at once could hurt your sandbed if you manged to trap the sand critters down deep in the sand bed before they had a chance to move up thru the new layers of sand.

Stresco, which Home Depot was this? Wappingers Falls? I can't find Southdown anywhere around here.

I rinced it and i still got a sand storm :( I took 25lbs out of one bag, rinced it several times with tap water. Then i rinced it a couple more times with RO water and drained most of the water out. I then added a little tank water to the sand. I took a 1 gal glad bag and fillled it half way. I only had about 1/4 of an inch of sand in the tank, so i started in the right corner by moving the sand in the tank to a small pile on the side and filling the empty area with the Southdown sand. I then mixed int the pile of tank sand with the Southdown. I did this to the tank in 4 sections moving some of the LR as i went along. I have about 1 and a half inches of sand in the tank now. I will wait a week or so and do it again. I plan on adding 50 more lbs of Live Sand at the end of the summer.

Back
Top Bottom