gotta problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packfan2204

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a new pH test kit thinking maybe my pH was off because of the old test kit. I was using an aquarium pharmaceuticals drytab pH test kit. I just got a nutrafin liquid drop test kit. I followed the instructions and it turned purple!!! Purple isn't even one of the colors on the grid. Now i'm really scared!

What type of readings were you getting with the old test kit?

Try testing a sample of first your freshwater, then mix up a fresh, small batch of saltwater to 1.023 salinity and test that. Also make sure you shake the bottle to mix up the testing solution in case anything settled. Hopefully you should get a chartable PH with the new saltwater solution.

All the tests i've ran i did shake the bottle, and last nite a just tested some tap water just to check and at first it started to turn green then just went clear. I've tested the tank water 5 times today and still all purple. Earlier on the other test kit i was getting a reading of 8.6!

I'll tell you what happened, because I did the same thing and was confused. What you are doing is holding the test up to a bulb that gives off a yellow glow, like a soft white. Try holding it up to your 10K bulb of your aquarium. If you want accurate results on all of the tests, don't hold them up to bulbs with a yellow spectrum, such as soft whites.

Back
Top Bottom