Gravel vac for fine sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use a battery powered Eheim vac on my fine sand substrate. It doesn't change water, just vacuums up loose waste. It is not cheap--Amazon sells it at anywhere from $40 to $60--but I absolutely love mine. Every day I quickly vac up loose surface waste and then, when it's time, I do my water change with a Python No Spill and Fill. No more buckets and no more pump siphons spitting water everywhere, plus pristine water parameters!:ROFLMAO::dance:

I know that's what it says, but I definitely use it on mine every single day without a problem. :) Maybe there are "grades" of fine sand. Mine's pretty fine, I'd say, but possibly do some research to see if there are levels of coarseness when it comes to sand. Again, I use it every day on my 100% sand substrate and have never had a problem. It doesn't suck sand up, actually. Somehow, I don't know quite how, the mechanism is calibrated so rocks and sand barely move. (They're lifted a tiny bit, but nowhere near where they would be sucked into the machinery.) The only thing that is really scooped up is the waste, in my experience.

I should add, just because initially I thought my vacuum was broken, that it doesn't have fast suction. It's slow and steady, so you have to hover it over the bits of waste and wait a few seconds for them to be sucked in. This very gentle pull is probably why it doesn't mess with the substrate, just the stuff resting on top of it.

You can, if you put it down closer to the sand it'll lift it up enough that you'll get all the gross stuff, trust me, but without actually sucking in the sand itself, amazingly. It's a great product. Just not super fast. If you want to leave the sand undisturbed, don't hover it quite so close. It's a matter of experimenting but no matter how close you get, sand disturbance is minimal.

Back
Top Bottom