Great Algae removal and sand sifters in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishboy-from-NY

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am starting to have Algae problems in my tank FO-Saltwater, I need to ask for suggestions from any one since it's ruins the overall viewing pleasure of the tank. Also, it seems that thiers Green Algae growing on the sand pretty thick, I included the equipment and fish that I have in the tank.

150 GALLON FISH ONLY-Saltwater
2-Ehiem 2217 Filters
1-EcoAqualizor
1-Maxi Reef 200 Wet/Dry
1-25 Watt Sterilizer
1-Natulis TE Skimmer
1-1/4hp Drop-in Chiller

Current fish in the Tank:
1 Humu Trigger
2 Yellow Tangs
1 Purple Tang
1 Green Bird Wrasse
1 Snowflake Eel
1 Ghost Eel
1 Watchman Goby
1-Regal Pygmy Angel
9-3 Stripe damsels

Well..the first thing we will need is information on your water parameters and your lighting.

How much do you feed?
What is your P04 and N03 at?
How long do you run your lights?
How old are the bulbs.
How much circulation do you have in the tank?

Squishy

How much do you feed?
twice a day, i feed the fish 1-small portion and 1-decent portion

What is your P04 and N03 at?
PO4-Phosphates? Don't know i don't test it.
NO#-Nitrate-30PPM

How long do you run your lights?
I run them for about 11 hours daily

How old are the bulbs.
about 3 month olds

How much circulation do you have in the tank?
I have decent current in the tank

Sounds to me like you need to cut back to feeding once a day (at least until the cyno is gone), run a poly filter for the N03, do small water changes daily to get the NO3 down under 10, and increase your circulation to 8-10 x total water volume (if your not already there). That should help alot.

Squishy

The polyfilter may help in lowering the DOC causing the NO3 but it does not have the ability to absorb NO3. If anything it will help remove some of the PO4 that may be causing the algae issue.

Cheers
Steve

Good catch on the N03....I actually meant P04 :oops:

I also meant to discourage you from putting any sand sifting creatures into your tank. They will quickly depleat your in fauna population that keeps your DSb functional. I added on orange spot goby to my 175, before I was aware of their devestating eating habits. It didnt take a month..maybe two, before he wiped out the pod poulation. 4 months later I am still waiting on them to recover.

Squishy

Back
Top Bottom