great sump idea I think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thefishguy

Aquarium Advice Regular
The room I have my tank in is heated but it is being built into the wall. the beside it isn't heated or cooled. my idea is to use a giant cooler as a sump. it already has a bulkhead on one end plus it would help maintain the temp of the water. in there I can put everything skimmer, wet dry filter, heater. is this a good idea

i have some feeling it isnt.... but it seems like its a good idea. try it out :)

that what im saying....the inside is good size but the overall coller will take up alot more space then lets say a glass tank that same size...see what i'm sayin :)

Basically... think of it this way. A sump is basically just a tub that holds water. Everything you do with it after that fact is up to you: baffles, LR chamber, Fuge add-on, etc. You can use whatever you want. BUT... make SURE that nothing else has been stored in this container, and that it is safe to hold aquarium water. ie, make sure that it is made of a material that won't leech chemicals into your tank, and that it is something that was purchased for the sole use for your tank.

Coolers that have been used to store frozen meat for picnics, and cans of soda and spilt nastiness won't do very well, as they will undoubtedly have residue oil and such that can harm your tank. Just make sure that the tank is sterile and is appropriate for aquarium use. :D

I have some more questions. ideas. for my 75 gal. fowlr
first off I have a 75 gal. a sump made from a massive cooler, never used befor. I was thinking a seaclone 100 or if needed a 150, a homemade trickle filter with bio balls, someday upgrade to liverock rubble. over time I would like accumlate 150 pds. of live rock in the tank. I have about 50 pds. of sand taken from a beach, the rest is going to be pool filter sand. a 400 watt heater. a hob over flow rated at about 800. two maxijet 400 on timers. a 40 watt no light fixture. does this sound good

second I am starting the cycling process with the sand in a small tank until I can finish getting my 75 put in the wall. it is about 20 gal. I am about a week and a half in and I my amonnia seems to be declining. the final measurments should be am-0 ni-0 and na-25ppm, the salinity 1.025 - .026 temp about 80. does this all seem correct anything to watch for.
sorry for the long post thanks in advance

ummm....sand from a beach? hope you washed it. :)
not sure about the pool filter sand....isnt that very very very fine...and also I dont think its sand...most Ive dealt with was detritus (used to life guard at a pubic pool which had a huge filter and used that stuff)
sounds good but I have heard nothing but negitive things about seaclone....Id save you money and wait to get a good PS.

I have only heard negative comments about seaclone also. Constant adjustment to just never worked correctly. Buy a better skimmer.

look on ebay.....I found a great deal on my ETSS Reef Devil which retails for over $250 and I got it for $100 and works great.

Back
Top Bottom