Green Algae and amonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RMA110731

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
I have green algae on my rocks -- it is not hairy or slimy it is just starting to appear on everything --except the substrate which I have crushed coral. My tank has been up and running for about 4 months my ph is good at 8.3, nitrites, 10 nitrates, calcium is about 400 - 440, I have been trying to get my ammonia down with water changes once a week at least 5 gallons sometimes 10 gallons - ammonia is about 25 -- how do I lower the ammonia and get rid of the green algae -- I only have one powerhead and I am thinking I might need more water movement - 72 gal bowfront

What about your clean up crew? Do you have some crabs or snails to help with the algae problem? I know my blue leg crabs keep my green algae down...

Yes I had purchased 45 blue legged crabs - 6 red legged crabs and 8 snails -- I don't know how many blue legs I have left - but I only have one snail left and I don't think I have any red legs left -- the blue legs have taken over the snail shells and the red legs shells -- :(

As far as ammonia goes, stop adding stuff to your tank and let the biofilter catch up. If you see ammonia in your tank you have to let it cycle again.
Ammonia is onw of the deadliest toxins to marine animals, could be why your loseing so many snail and crabs. The snails and crabs are dying, not being killed by Blue's

Thats what I think anyways
you should never see ammonia in your tank. if you see it it means a mini cycle. let it run its course.

Back
Top Bottom