green carpet anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
probably...but the question is, are you sure you really want one? They are very very aggressive and will eat any fish that gets near. If you have clowns, they will actually help "herd" the fish twoard the anemone. My carpet ate a few fish in its time, including a porcupine puffer.

I would not try it, for the above mentioned reason and the fact that 4 PC bulbs don't have that much power when they get to the sand bed, where the carpet would be. I would try a bubble tip or long tentacle, they prefer the rock and would get more light higher up. Oh, and a carpet can sting you too. One of the few that can hurt a person as bad as a fish.

I have four 65 wat PC bulbs and two 80wat T5 on my system and my bubble tip stays at the very top of the tank in the brightest light, way up in the rock almost at the surface. He seems happier there, since he moved there himself. A carpet won't do this, and might die from lack of light.

I think that if you REALLY want one of these, you should do a larger nano and keep only a couple of perc clowns in there with it, and some sesile inverts. I only suggest perc because they tend to get along with each other a lot better in a smaller tank, when compared to most other clowns. You may even be able to get them to breed if there are no other fish in there. I have 2 maroon clowns (not mated), male and female, in a 100 gallon, and the female sometimes will chase the male out of her territory. She would kill him in anything smaller. The carpets are awesome looking inverts, but many others fill the same niche and can get along with others better. Check out long and short tentacle plate coral and elegance coral, they stay on the sand bed and won't kill and eat every fish in your tank.

Go with a BTA. It's the easiest anemone. I have a green one under 130W and it's doing great. Never moved an inch from its spot :D

Carpet anemone's are the craziest eating machine I have ever witnessed (for an invert)...
i would recommend staying away from them also

I once had a carpet anenome suck and eat a 3-4" red legged hermit crab out of its shell.
It also ate many other fish, mine ended up getting like 10-12" in diameter, if you want one deffinently choose its tank mates wisely.

glad to hear that,because i dont want to lose any more fish as of now. well i started with a 20 gal with my yellow tang in it for about a year and my perular clown.i just wanted to give my clown a home.what other ones will work for him?

Percs will go in a bunch of different anenome. There are no garuntees with these things, but I think it will host a bubble tip. Even the hard to get to host fish will do these, like maroons will host a bubble.

Bubble tips are about the easiest to keep alive, and a very good first one to pick.

I would try that - OH, and one last thing - tank raised fish are much less likely to host an anenome, so don't get all freaked out if the fish ignores it. Generally, if the fish will not go right to the anenome, or is found in it within a day or so, it isn't going to host it. Just my observations, that's all.

Back
Top Bottom