green chromis 'bout to drop out of school

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

al

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i bought 3 green chromis on friday. they were acclimated properly, and my water conditions are good. today i saw one of them pecking another. is this normal due to the new environment? the one being attacked was pretty stressed, as he changed shades to a darker color. other tank inhabitants are a percula clownfish, gold headed sleeper gobie, skunk cleaner, fire cleaner, peppermint shrimp, turbo snail, and a orange starfish, all in a 30 gal tank. is there anything i can do? maybe just wait and see what happens?...i though i'd ask the pros. also, thanks for the welcoming welcome to the boards. take care

-al

Al,
There like a Wolf Pack, they will take out the weakest.
Like Mark says, put a couple more in, I started with 5 and added 3 more and still have 5 now, so they settled in with each other.
HTH

I have never heard that, that is really good information to hear. I just heard some one in the LFS talking about this behavior and the worker did not have a clue.

I think that they can be a little bit pugnaceous... I have had 1 GC for a while and he picked on every other fish... Usually they are timid and tend to hang in the corners when they are by themselves..I bought 2 more smaller ones and they are getting along great. It is kinda funny actually, because they are like following momma around... :lol:

BTW, I think this is going to be normal until one becomes the top dog in the pack if you will. I would go on what Mark said and add 2 more.

I was told to stay in odd numbers and it will not cause a problem with schooling fish. Maybe a myth but souds interesting... :mrgreen:

well, i started out with 4 on friday, and 1 has died each day since entroducing them. goby picked on first victim during his welcoming party, and then yesterday one got beat up by his remaining bro's...2 are left, one of which is definitely larger in size. my LFS guy said that they are guaranteed for a week, so he'll replace 2 and i'll probably add 3 more tomorrow. thanks for the help!

-al

ps-i would like to add a lemonpeel angel in 6 months or so, but will the angel destroy the school of chromis? also, is that too much livestock for a 30gal tank? thanks again...

I don't think an angel will mess w/ your school ,I have a flaming angel w/ mine there fine.you might be getting up there w/ live stock after your chromis & angel.

Back
Top Bottom