Green Chromis Damsel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone have experience with keeping 1 single green chromis damsel in a community tank as apposed to a school of them?

Thanks.

I have 2 in my reef.. I started with 7 back in 2002 and ahve 2 left... What other fish do you have in the tank. I added 5 very small ones to my fowlr and the perc clowns and purple pseudochromis beat the crap out of them all... I was able to get 1 out alive..

I decided to opt for a Diadema Pseudochromis (Dottyback) as my first fish addition to my 12 gallon nano reef. I acclimated him for well over an hour. The minute he hit the water he was gone, hiding somewhere in the live rock!!! I may never see him again. :( LOL. Hopefully he'll come out to eat soon. :)

Very poor choice for this size of tank. Once/if it gets established it will make the meanest damsel look like a cake walk. Very few Pseudochromis species actually have a "community" temperment and should be kept with large aggressive fish. This guy will also get to about 2½-3" in size which a 12 gal will not properly house long term.

Do you have a larger set up with less docile species it can be added to?

Cheers
Steve

I have had a single chromis for several months now. I had 3 but one died in QT and another got excited when I was feeding and killed itself by running full speed into the glass. 8O Don't ask.

Brenden, ur fish died from hitting the glass?! Im sorry but that is so FUNNY! LOL! It was probly extremely hungry. Starve to death indeed...

Everytime I read that story Brenden I crack up laughing...
Dottybacks...They are the meanest fish I have ever seen...I ended up taking one back to the LFS...
IMO it isnt a good choice for youre setup...

really? i read that they are they are fine community tank fish if paired with other semi-aggressive fish like clowns and or dwarf angels... and about the fish growing to 3" in length. almost ALL marine fish grow to about 3" minumum!! in length.

i guess, i'll keep you guys posted as soon as i put in another fish... we'll see what happens. unless he can behave himself he's going back to the aquarium store.

for now though, he's so SHY he won't even come out of the rockwork !

Back
Top Bottom